Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold color

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

limmer

Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold color

Post by limmer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi,
I picked up some Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold from Ohio at the OCA Extravaganza 2015.
All of them were gold in color.
The fry from the offspring are different colors. Some are gold and some are greyish in color.
I don't know if this is normal or not.
When I get rid of some, I am not sure how to label them. Should I sell them as Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold?
Thanks

Midknight

Re: Lamprologus Ocellatus Gold color

Post by Midknight » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:04 pm

-- I experienced the very same thing not long ago. I had a group of five exLamprologus ocellatus "Gold". I ended up with two pair and an extra that was, presumably, a male. After both pair had spawned and the fry began to put on some size, I noticed the color discrepancy. The fry of one batch were completely gold in keeping with the appearance of the adults. The second batch consisted of roughly one-third gold fry and two-thirds normal grayish fry. My understanding is that the gold coloration is a line-bred trait. I may be wrong about that, but I have seen wild caught ocellatus from Isanga - purported to be the source of the gold colored fish found in the hobby - and they were only slightly different in coloration from the standard color form (grayish body color). Future spawns from the female who produced the off color individuals failed to produce any fish without the sought after intense gold coloration.
-- I sold the fry as "Gold" ocellatus despite the lack of color. You would not be wrong in selling them as regular ocellatus. After all, they are ocellatus.
-- I don't know if that helps much.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”