Returning to Tanganyikans

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

mschmidt62

Returning to Tanganyikans

Post by mschmidt62 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Hi! I am new to this forum. I kept a 75 gallon Tanganyikan tank back in the late 1990s, with just a pair of Neolamprologus brichardi, a pair of Julidochromis regani, and some swordtails as dithers. I had thought that, by giving each their own rockpile at opposite ends of the aquarium, they might settle upon a peaceable arrangement of territories. Didn't work--the brichardis were too aggressive. I got lots of brichardi fry and I got tired of trying to get rid of them, so I ended up getting rid of the adults and fry to a local store when I temporarily moved to a different city. The Julies were transferred to a rocky, cryptocoryne-heavy 20 gal tank, where they happily started breeding. The original male fathered a number of broods with one of the original females, then one of his daughters, but failed to have any offspring when I accidentally gave away his daughter-wife and he was left sharing the tank with a granddaughter. (Too much inbreeding, or just a moral sense that he shouldn't be breeding with his granddaughter? I know, I shouldn't anthropomorphize.) Big Daddy passed away in 2010, at about the age of 12, and in the last year I lost the granddaughter to an unfortunate accident with fibrous algae, which I feel badly about, because I should have kept the algae under control.

I am looking to get back into keeping a few Julies--it seems ironic that I used to sweat about finding responsible people to give the fry to, when now I would love to have some of those fry back! I donated some of them to an auction at the semi-local aquarium society (which is a 40 minute drive from me, so I didn't do that more than once). I am thinking of going back to that aquarium society to see if I can pick up some new ones. Who knows, maybe the descendants of some of my fish will be there. Do fish originating from a single pair maintain enough genetic variability to produce many generations of viable offspring?

smitty

Re: Returning to Tanganyikans

Post by smitty » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:48 am

My friend just switched from C/A to Africans and I am impressed with how things turned out. He has a really nice looking tank.
150gal- Dovi's; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260
180gal- Managuense; 3 AC 110 P.Filters; 2 AC 110 P.Heads; Eheim 2217,2260; FX5
210gal- Argta,Bifsct,Fnstrtus,Maculcda,Regani,Syns,Zntus; 4 AC P.Filters; 2 AC P.Hds; Eheim 2250,2262; FX5

mschmidt62

Re: Returning to Tanganyikans

Post by mschmidt62 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:20 am

Rift-lake Africans make a a lot of sense if you live in a hard-water area. I have been reviewing my cichlid books and searching online to make sure I want to go back to Julies and I'm pretty well convinced I should stick with them, given our hard water, my limited space, and my previous success with them. I was amused to note that Julidochromis regani is said by some sites to live around 10 years...I guess Big Daddy did well by living 12.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”