Lake Tanganyika beginner questions

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

GallonsOfFun

Lake Tanganyika beginner questions

Post by GallonsOfFun » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi, so I was planning on stocking my 55 gallon tank with mbunas but then I read that the lake tanganyikan cichlids are more interesting behaviorally. The behavioral and personality aspect is what interests me most about fish, so could someone explain if this is true and exactly what these complex/interesting behaviors are? How do they act? Are they interactive with their owners?

Also, what are my options in terms of stocking a 55 with these cichlids? I know there are 3 or 4 different sorts (in terms of where they live & swim in the wild), so in a 55 should I stick to one type or have multiple? If anyone could provide some stocking list ideas that would be great.

GallonsOfFun

Re: Lake Tanganyika beginner questions

Post by GallonsOfFun » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:57 am

Anyone?

dswells

Post by dswells » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 am

I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to the "more interesting behaviorally" theory. That's all subjective. What's not subjective is the behavioral profiles of the species from each lake. All bets are off when you mix fish in a closed system that don't typically share the same area of the lake. Having said all that, I would add say that cichlids often exhibit individual behaviors (i.e., each fish has its own personality).

I'd be happy to suggest some ideas. First, however, have you done some reading on various spcecies from Lake Tanganyican to see what gets your attention? The other question is availability. If your local fish store doesn't carry them or has a sparse selection, you'll have to order them online or find someone local who has some they're willing to sell you. Are you confined to what's local or are you willing to have them shipped directly to you?

SW

DJRansome

Post by DJRansome » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:03 pm

One common stocking plan for a 55G would be 3 species:
1 bottom dweller like Lamprologus multifasciatus, stock six
1 rock dweller like Altolamprologus calvus or Julidochromis marlieri Gombe. Stock 6 and rehome 4 after a pair forms.
1 top dweller like Cyprochromis leptosome utinta. Stock 12.

busterny

Post by busterny » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:09 am

+1.
I would stay away from Brichardi. I lost my Julie's and cyps from a spawning pair of Brichardi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”