Cyprichromis Kerenge Island/ Utinta?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

merc65comet202

Cyprichromis Kerenge Island/ Utinta?

Post by merc65comet202 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:03 am

Im somewhat confused with how cyprichromis can and are sometimes identified, Can somebody with some background on this fish type, clarify this for me. It seems that the internet, for such a vast amount of (at your hands) information source.............is its own worst enemy with regards to many subject matters. The more information available on any topic, the more room for misinformation on said topics. Point in case, I understand their are various collection points for fish, hence the locale is usually attached to the fish as added identifiers for the over all species. I cant seem to find ROCK SOLID information regarding, very CLEAR and precise identifiers for cyprichromis of several types. I have what I believed to be Cyprichromis Utintas, as that is how I bought them as labeled. They were young and no colored males were colored at the time. Ive had them several months, nearly a year and in that time they have bred numberous times. I have Cyprichromis fry from the originals, that have colored up as well and they have a tendency to look like pics (that ive seen, and are labled as Kerenge Island). Are Utintas and Kerenge Island the same fish? I don't understand! I have them with somewhat tiger striped sides and some without. what goes? Also, to further frustrate me, I also don't understand Tri-Colors, as a description of Cyprichromis. The word TriColor is very vague and can mean various different locales within that broad category. Can anyone help clarify, any of this for me? I cant stand seeing pictures of fish listed under search results in Google, that are clearly labeled as fish that they truly aren't.

for further identification purposes heres two pics of the fish ive found that are labeled as utintas and kerenge islands, the fish I have look like the kerenge islands and were called utintas. All the utintas ive seen never looked like the one in the pic labeled utinta. No implication that the pics are wrong, but just an example of the frustrating parts ive had with these fish and how they are identified.

is it possible that F0 fish can look so much different?

http://www.sicichlids.com/photo/display ... m=4&pos=27

http://www.sicichlids.com/photo/display ... m=4&pos=25

thanks

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Cyprichromis Kerenge Island/ Utinta?

Post by Philippe Burnel » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:14 pm

merc65comet202 wrote: I have what I believed to be Cyprichromis Utintas, as that is how I bought them as labeled.
No more comments

merc65comet202

Post by merc65comet202 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:44 pm

Philippe Burnel wrote:
merc65comet202 wrote: I have what I believed to be Cyprichromis Utintas, as that is how I bought them as labeled.
No more comments
WOW! thanks for the great advice, one more word and youd have had 4 in a row.

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Hopefully you have a subscription to CRC so that you can see the links below :)

It appears that C. leptosoma "Karenge Island" was introduced to the hobby back in 2002: http://www.cichlidnews.com/issues/2002apr/whatsnew.html

CRC doesn't list C. leptosoma as being found in Karenge: http://www.cichlidae.com/locality.php?i ... es#content

Matt
merc65comet202 wrote:Im somewhat confused with how cyprichromis can and are sometimes identified, Can somebody with some background on this fish type, clarify this for me. It seems that the internet, for such a vast amount of (at your hands) information source.............is its own worst enemy with regards to many subject matters. The more information available on any topic, the more room for misinformation on said topics. Point in case, I understand their are various collection points for fish, hence the locale is usually attached to the fish as added identifiers for the over all species. I cant seem to find ROCK SOLID information regarding, very CLEAR and precise identifiers for cyprichromis of several types. I have what I believed to be Cyprichromis Utintas, as that is how I bought them as labeled. They were young and no colored males were colored at the time. Ive had them several months, nearly a year and in that time they have bred numberous times. I have Cyprichromis fry from the originals, that have colored up as well and they have a tendency to look like pics (that ive seen, and are labled as Kerenge Island). Are Utintas and Kerenge Island the same fish? I don't understand! I have them with somewhat tiger striped sides and some without. what goes? Also, to further frustrate me, I also don't understand Tri-Colors, as a description of Cyprichromis. The word TriColor is very vague and can mean various different locales within that broad category. Can anyone help clarify, any of this for me? I cant stand seeing pictures of fish listed under search results in Google, that are clearly labeled as fish that they truly aren't.

thanks

dogofwar

Post by dogofwar » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm

C. leptosoma "Utinta" is from Utinta Bay: http://www.cichlidae.com/locality.php?i ... es#content

Utinta Bay is north of Karenge Island on the Eastern Shore of Lake Tang.

Whether the fish that you have are actually what you bought them as is really hard to say. There are no shortage of mislabeled fish, especially rift lake ones, in the hobby.

Matt

Benoit

Post by Benoit » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:07 am

Hi, in fact, be aware that the Cyprichromis leptosoma the southern shore of Lake Tanzania is the same to the river Kalambo it leptosoma is recognizable by the colored spot it in the soft rays of the dorsal fin .dropoff window All the clichés that I made along the coast shows no differences.
After Kalambo river, the leptosoma no longer have this colored spot.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 am

There's a ton of variation in Cyprichromis so it's definitely possible to have a group that look a little different.

Case in point, I have a pair from Chituta. Upon searching the internet to figure out what they'll look like I found a whole mix of different photos of males labelled as Chituta. My source where I got them from is good so I'm definitely not discrediting that, and am just going to wait patiently to see what they turn into.

Go with what they're labelled as when you got them.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”