location needed...where is Linangu?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

Moderators: Troy, Thomas Andersen

sidguppy

location needed...where is Linangu?

Post by sidguppy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:32 am

see title

I can't find it on any map of the Lake....

where is Linangu located?
is it in the Congo?
or Tanzania?
or perhaps somewhere on the Zambia coast?

any help, or a map, greatly appreciated.
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

sidguppy

Re: location needed...where is Linangu?

Post by sidguppy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:39 pm

thanks!

that would put it in Zambia near the Congo border.

just enlarged the map. ....looks like it's just south of Cape Nangu (which I found on the map in Konings' Tanganyika cichlids in their natural habitat")
very helpful! :)

the reason i asked is because I found a "cyathopharynx foai 'Linangu' , but I wanted to make the tank a Tanzanian biotope, with only or mostly Karilani fishes.

maybe i gotta let go of that scenario, because the Cyathopharynx is absolutely stunning.......

what a great map.
I bookmarked it and I'll put it on the Dutch forum too.

maybe you should tag it in the tropheus and petrochromis part here?
I'm sure they can use it too!
:up:
"And he piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it"
Jean-Luc Picard

noddy

Post by noddy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Not sure I know how to tag it Sid. Glad it helped, when I get a minute I'll dig out my Aqualog Tropheus book and see if it explains where exactlty Linangu is. If I remember corectly, it is close to Nangu. Any pics of the Linangu Foai? I have never heard of it myself. I have a group of Linangu Tropheus, beautiful yellow with plum heads. I used to have a group of Karilani Furcifers myself, very nice featherfin.

cyatide

Post by cyatide » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:41 pm

I guess the Linangu foae could look almost the same as the Moliro one. I have seen, in person and in some films, some Cyathos from the western side of the zambian coast and all looked more or less the same as the Moliro's.

Sid, I think that if you can't find the Karilani variant you can get the Kabogo (that of your avatar?) or the Sibwesa ones which are all the same and often more easy to find on the trade.

Just today I saw on the CRC site (news section) a few very recent pictures by Ad Konings of some wonderful foae taken at Miyako, Lubugwe bay, and N'ganga Point (never heard these places before!). All of them look very similar as the Karilani variant (and all the other of the so called "green-copper foae" group) even we know how much the intensity and direction of the light can change the colour of this jewel!

Paolo

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:19 am

the one in my avatar was my dominant Kabogo male I kept years ago, before i went "tanganyika deep water" and "Madagascar".
they are the reason why I'm coming back into the fold.

I'm still in dubio
Karilani is for sale, but only a few and no details are given about the generation bred in captivity.

the same goes for Sibwesa.
and I already kept the Kabogo

all Kabogo's, Sibwesa's and Karilani's I can get are small, no colors, no way of sexing them.

the Linangu is for sale in Germany, there's a chance I can get hold of 2 males and 4 females F1.....
linangu.jpg
it's quite different from the coppery foai's (or is it foae?)

so i'm sorely tempted!
Jean-Luc Picard

cyatide

Post by cyatide » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:48 am

sidguppy wrote:the one in my avatar was my dominant Kabogo male I kept years ago, before i went "tanganyika deep water" and "Madagascar".
they are the reason why I'm coming back into the fold.
Yes, I remember, I already saw this picture years ago.
I'm still in dubio
Karilani is for sale, but only a few and no details are given about the generation bred in captivity.

the same goes for Sibwesa.
and I already kept the Kabogo

all Kabogo's, Sibwesa's and Karilani's I can get are small, no colors, no way of sexing them.
These variants are all almost the same and you should wait for at least one year to enjoy thier colors ... I would go for the Linangu's, they are not less nice than the copper ones, to me.

PS) two males are better that one, if the tank is large enough.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk

sidguppy

Post by sidguppy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:47 am

PS) two males are better that one, if the tank is large enough.
my current Tanganyika tank is 3,5 meters long, 85 cm wide and 75 cm high.
I think it'll be big enough for 2 males
:wink:
Jean-Luc Picard

noddy

Post by noddy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:12 pm

The Linangu does look like a Moliro Foai, lots of blue and green, very nice . I am a big fan of the coppers myself and that Kabogo is beautifull (I think I remember seeing the larger pic years ago). I made a mistake when I said that I had kept Karilani Furcifers myself. I actually bought juvies as Karilani (my dream featherfin at the time) and ended up with Kigoma Furcifers. I won't buy juvie featherfins ever again, the seller was very reputable and brought them in from Germany. A very time consuming mix up. Right now I'm keeping Kipili gold Nasutas that I grew out from a w/c pair.

I took a photo of page 74 in Shupkes Tropheus book. It looks as if Linangu is just to the west of Cape Nangu.

Return to “Lake Tanganyika Cichlids”