Best fish for a 44G cornor tank?

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

Wayne.Corman

Best fish for a 44G cornor tank?

Post by Wayne.Corman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Not sure where I should post so I try here .

Hello I, have been cycling my tank for 2 months now and it needs some fish, kids are now demanding it!

I'd like to go with a dwarf or smaller species so I could put and a couple more fish, than if I went with larger fish.

These are my first choices but I'd like some imput from people with more experience:

Apistogremma Agassizi
Apistogremma Borelli
Laetacara Curviceps
P. Pulcher

Thank you for your time and advice, I'm very excited about this project along my kids.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Best fish for a 44G cornor tank?

Post by Dan Woodland » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Wayne,

What are the dimensions of the tank you are going to use? I think more information about your setup would help people give you opinions.

Wayne.Corman

Re: Best fish for a 44G corner tank?

Post by Wayne.Corman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 am

I couldn't post a picture, bummer it is a polygon shaped tank with 2 long back panel 23" each with 3-13" "front panels" 23" high. I have 3 sm Java Ferns, a med sword and a lg water sprite in back corner, large rock formation in the middle with 4-5 caves branching out of the center of the tank, small brown gravel substrate,

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Sounds nice. What do you want to do with your fish, meaning are you planning on breeding them, is this going to be a show tank, or a hey did you see that fish do that tank (just for fun tank)?

Wayne.Corman

Post by Wayne.Corman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm not really intrested in breeding at this time. I would just like to have a great looking tank with some really colorful fish swiming about, I enjoy watch the fish while in the recliner.

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:04 pm

My inclination would be to steer you towards small Central American Cichlids such as Nanoluteus, Myrnae, etc.
Put some small catfish or Bristle Nose Plecos in with them as well at some Blood Fin Tetras and you'd have an interesting mix of fish with out running into size or aggression issues.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

fmueller

Post by fmueller » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:35 am

If you want an easy-care tank and fish with bright colors, you can't go wrong with mbuna. A species tank with Pseudotropheus saulosi would be my personal recommendation - bright yellow females and vibrant blue males. They will breed, but since they eat most of their fry if you don't remove them, it will never be a hassle. Also, since they are a smaller type of mbuna and less agressive than most, 44G should be plenty.

All of the fish you mentioned should work just fine too, but probably not all at the same time :lol: Most are touchier though, and the Apistos really appreciate soft water, eg from an RO unit. You can keep them alive in tap water, but it's not ideal.

HTH

Frank

LewC

Post by LewC » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:17 pm

You could go with male Malawis...lots of color and activity. If you do sufficient water changes, you could put quite a few in there, which would not only look great, but also spread out aggression.

Lew

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Remember folks, this tank is only a 44 gallon corner tank 2' x 2'.

Return to “Announcements”