April bulletin

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

dbrummitt

April bulletin

Post by dbrummitt » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:54 pm

I just got done reading the bulleting and i have one dumb question. On the 1" min for BAP are you guys counting tail or no tail. I know some guys count tail and others don't due to a long finned fish could be only 3" with a 2" tail. Just wondering on that so i know for sure. I use tail lenght and i have had one guy say 1" with tail and .75" without it. Dustin B.
Fish and Disc Golf, what else do I need?

LewC

Re: April bulletin

Post by LewC » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Actually, not a dumb question.

A copy of the 1997 rules I have says 1" Total length, which means including tail, but on the website it doesn't specify TL or standard length, which doesn't include tail. You should maybe hold them back if they're borderline, or bring them and be prepared to take them home if Mark says they're too small.

Lew

Jombie

Post by Jombie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:15 pm

I didn't get my bulletin yet :(

Jom

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm

Jombie wrote:I didn't get my bulletin yet :(

Jom
paper or electronic?

steveh28

Post by steveh28 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:05 am

me neither. electronic

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 am

I got mine, and I've changed name to Lew :D Just pokin' the bear is all :)

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:32 am

steveh28 wrote:me neither. electronic
Yours bounced Steve. Clean out you mail box, the file is 9MB.

dbrummitt

Post by dbrummitt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:41 am

Gotcha Lew that's what I read online also and that's what I have gone by for the past almost 2 years. The only fish I have in question are the polits they are .75" and over 90 days old they just won't seem to grow. There parents were only 2-2.5" and I know they don't get much bigger so would these fall under the 90 day category like the shellies or just keep growing them. I bought there parents from Dave A's BAP a while back and they were an inch and started breeding 2 weeks later. So all and all can I turn them in or keep waiting. The main.reason I ask is because I just sold the parents and I don't like turning in BAP when I no longer have the parents in the garage to avoid any questioning. Thanks Dustin B.

Jombie

Post by Jombie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:17 pm

electronic Dan. jdietric@bw.edu

Thanks.Jom

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:20 pm

dbrummitt wrote:Gotcha Lew that's what I read online also and that's what I have gone by for the past almost 2 years. The only fish I have in question are the polits they are .75" and over 90 days old they just won't seem to grow. There parents were only 2-2.5" and I know they don't get much bigger so would these fall under the 90 day category like the shellies or just keep growing them. I bought there parents from Dave A's BAP a while back and they were an inch and started breeding 2 weeks later. So all and all can I turn them in or keep waiting. The main.reason I ask is because I just sold the parents and I don't like turning in BAP when I no longer have the parents in the garage to avoid any questioning. Thanks Dustin B.
I was going to save this topic for the meeting Friday but since there are a number of questions from newer BAP participants this may work as others can read it as well.

Keep in mind the BAP size rule exists to allow people buying your (meaning everyone) fish at the meetings a chance to raise and breed them just as you did. If they are under sized and easily stressed they may die soon after being placed in the new owners tanks. That could be a big difference between a guy like you breeding numerous species and a kid never participating in the BAP. I know those are the two extremes but the desired affect is to keep as many people interested in breeding as possible.

I’m not saying you are doing this; we all have our own reasons for entering the BAP, but a very prolific breeder soon looses sight of the purpose of the program – it’s not breeding as many fish as fast as possible to get as many points as possible but to experience the whole process of raising and breeding fish then passing along those fish and the opportunity to others to do the same. The exchange of knowledge and experience is the main reason for the BAP programs existence.

Regarding when to turn in fish for BAP points, there are times when a breeder needs to make a judgment call. For example, Altolamprologus compressiceps grows extremely slowly so a 6 month old fish could be .75”. That fish would most likely make it through the transport and move to a new tank at a members’ house. Conversely a .25” Mbuna might not make it through the same process because it’s too young and small.

If you can’t make up your mind then wait another month to turn them in. Another 30 days will make all the difference in the next person being successful raising your fish to breeding size.

If anyone has questions please feel free to ask here or at the meetings, that’s why we are here, to educate and disseminate information on Cichlid husbandry etc etc…

dbrummitt

Post by dbrummitt » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:17 pm

Thanks for clarifying this. I havent really turned in alot of, well i have but not tons. I have had 2 or 3 20 point fish and was just wanting to clarify the size. I appreciate the input and will keep it in mind. the main thing i am doing is not race anyone it is to breed malawi and vics to keep me going on fish while working with harder species in my eyes. I get a lot of my points from the easy mouthbrooders but also take the time to grow a more difficult fish, like tropheus, lepidiolamps, bigger haps, and some american sp., while these guys keep me on my toes. Thanks for the clarification and i may be new to the club still but definitley not new to fish keeping and breeding. I know its not a race its just while i wait for the others to grow these guys keep me very interested and busy. Actually the coolest thing has been happening, i bred thysochromis ansorgi, a little west african, and i get to watch one of the parents twitch their head when i am checking on them and all the babies dive and hide under them in the gravel, very cool :D . thanks for the answers guys. Dustin B.

trebor69

Post by trebor69 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:49 pm

MonsterFishRescue wrote:I got mine, and I've changed name to Lew :D Just pokin' the bear is all :)
haha I noticed

Lew... you never knew you had such BIG tanks didja?

LewC

Post by LewC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:44 pm

Yeah, and I didn't know I was part of the membership team, either. (Not that it would be a bad thing, of course.)

Seriously, the bulletin editorship is a huge job for one person, so that kind of stuff may happen from time to time.

Thanks for doing it, Dan.

Lew

Kyle May

Post by Kyle May » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:46 pm

I have a mini-talk presentation ready for Friday nights meeting that details the BAP.
It's really just an informative presentation on what exactly the BAP is and why you
should become a part of it. I had the length of the fish at 1/2"...but I'm talking body length...not
total length.

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

Return to “Announcements”