Monster Fish Rescue Needs your Support. Please read.

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

TheFishGuy

Monster Fish Rescue Needs your Support. Please read.

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:40 am

Ok... So I'm a little fired up at the moment... Let me explain... I went to the village of Orwell (my home town) to ask if I could put out my Monster Fish Rescue.com sign in the front yard because I was hosting a board meeting for the Ohio Cichlid Association as I'm a board member and voulonteered to host a meeting. The sign is 18" x 24".

I went to the village and I asked if there was a permit I needed to get to put the sign out, she (Vicki Thomson who is the zoning inspector) said she wasn't sure but if I wanted to put it out this one time that was fine and then we'd talk about it at a later date... This came in the mail for me:

After calling this morning she tells me people were complaining about the sign... Likely story. No one has ever complained about the sign before I brought it to her attention. When I brought it to her attention I also told her that we're not open to the public and that rescues were performed over the internet and that at a last resort fish would come here. And 99% of the time I go get the fish IF the fish even needs to come here. Thankfully most rescues are resolved before even making it to the website or here! The last time someone came here and brought a fish that needed rescued was four months ago. And the sign was out for a couple of weeks at that time... Not a single complaint then...

So now I've got 90 days to shut down my non-profit LLC for running a buisiness out of my home. There's a Planning and Zoning Meeting April 21st @ 6:30 P.M. at:

179 West Main Street

Orwell Ohio 44076

They want me to come and ask for a conditional use permit which costs $175 because I run an internet fish rescue.

I'm asking for your support. If you believe that what I do is a good thing, if you're a supporter of Monster Fish Rescue then come to the meeting, it's open to the public. If you can't come to the meeting write a letter and send it to:

Orwell Zoning Commision

c/o Vicki Thomson

179 West Main Street

Orwell Ohio 44076

I'm not asking for donations, I'm asking for your support in any way you can. Personally I find the entire situation rediculous. No good deed goes unpunished.

If you sell Avon, or Creative Memories supplies, or have ever sold a single thing on eBay or Aquabid you're an internet buisiness. If you've ever babysat for someone, you're running a buisiness out of your home. Better run out and get that permit!

On a lighter note, youtube has pulled their head from their !@#% Here's some videos of the tank and our latest rescue!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJN3661BQjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jKOvdnT7pg

fmueller

Re: Monster Fish Rescue Needs your Support. Please read.

Post by fmueller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:34 am

MonsterFishRescue wrote:I went to the village of Orwell (my home town) to ask if I could put out my Monster Fish Rescue.com sign in the front yard
Hi Jonathan,

Sorry to hear about your plight. We have a saying in German, which goes something like: "Who asks a lot of questions will get a lot of stupid answers". It sounds like this is exactly what you are experiencing with the village of Orwell.

I don't know if you'll get a lot of people to come to the meeting, seeing that Orwell is a little remote as far as Ohio goes. However, I could see quite a few people (myself included) willing to send a letter. Why don't you write one that says whatever you want it to say, post it here, and then people just have to print, sign and send it. If you get permission to post the thing on CF that might be even more effective, since as of today they have 49,799 members! Even if one percent of them write a letter, I reckon the village of Orwell would be impressed :)

Greetings

Frank

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:46 am

Of the 36 forums i belong to 31 of them give me permission to write about anything MFR does. Threads have been started on every forum I belong to, and some emails have already been sent LOL People did that on their own.... someone else suggest i do the same thing, compose a letter then people could just sign it and send it or ass whatever they want to... Check this out:

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... p?t=228220

David Hale

Post by David Hale » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:20 pm

& they want to know why people hate politicians & the government . They are some of the most uneducated in common sense.

I will sign a letter for support.

me Dave

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:03 pm

Thanks Dave. I'll work on drafting a letter as that seems to be the popular response... Here's what I'll be reading the night of the meeting:

Monster Fish Rescue.com

Pertaining to the matter of the Monster Fish Rescue.com sign that was in the front yard of 113 South Maple Street, where I, Jonathan Strazinsky reside, I would like to clarify (1) the signs purpose, and (2) Monster Fish Rescue as a business.

1.) I contacted zoning the week of March 9th to ask about placing the sign in my front yard as a simple land mark for fellow board members of the Ohio Cichlid Association so they could easily find where our board meeting was going to take place. Each month a board member of the OCA volunteers to host a board meeting at their residence. I volunteered to host Marches meeting. I wanted to make sure there were no issues with the village of Orwell with me wanted to put the sign up. Vicki Thomson informed me that I could set up the sign on the day of the meeting (March 14th 2009) and she then would bring it up to her boss about possibly keeping the sign up on a permanent basis which I was told would cost $10. Initially I just wanted to have the sign out to use as a land mark for when people would come over for any reason what so ever. Then Vicki told me that it was only $10 for a sign permit.
Admittedly I forgot to take the sign down. The meeting ended late and we had family over the following day. My priority was not to get the sign down but to prepare our home for visitors. I apologize if the sign offended someone in the village but I find it interesting that the first time I bring the sign up to a village employee all of a sudden there’s “Complaints about the sign” when last year I had a 4’x2’ blue box with the exact same wording on it out in the front yard for a few weeks and never had a single complaint.
As for the sign it’s self it is simply an advertisement for a website, my website. No where on the sign does it say “open for business” or “please come in”. In short, I am willing to pay the $10 permit fee in order to be able to have the sign up in my front yard on a more permanent basis even though the sign is easily removed.

2.) Reasons why I will NOT be asking for a conditional use permit:
Monster Fish Rescue has been registered with the state to eventually be a non profit organization. According to state law an organization seeking non profit “organization” status needs to register its name as an LLC before the process can start. Fred Green is my lawyer and has been in the process of attaining Monster Fish Rescue’s status as a non profit organization. His number is (440) 286-4770.

Monster Fish Rescue is an internet based non profit LLC that I run to rescue fish and reptiles. Ninety-nine percent of these rescues are orchestrated via the internet or by phone. Our home is not open to public traffic. Friends that I have met online do stop by from time to time to view my aquariums as I’ve got a 1500 gallon aquarium that I built myself. This is exactly the time I would like to have the sign out so these people can find the house easily. The last time someone was here dropping off a fish in need of rescue was some time in October of 2008. If a fish or reptile needs to come here it’s because all other options have been exhausted and there’s no other place for it to go. Owners of these fish have driven here from as far away as Long Island New York to ensure their fish will have a proper home. Monster Fish Rescue is not a pet store or any sort of public arena. People simply bring me their fish to give them a good home or to allow me more time to place the fish into an appropriate home. I see no difference between this and someone wanting to take their dog to a farm because they don’t want it any longer or can’t keep it any longer, much like freecycle.org. If you were to walk into our residence you would not see for sale signs on my tanks or price lists or a cash register.

On a side note and to have it on record I was personally offended that the Zoning inspector (Vicki Thomson) insinuated that the dead fish found in the water treatment facility was mine. I am 100% confident that we are not the only residents in the village of Orwell that own aquarium fish. I do not typically dispose of dead fish by flushing them down the toilet. Fish are frozen triple bagged then added to the out going trash early on Tuesday mornings. Although it is common practice for aquarists to flush their dead fish, especially the concerned parent of a child who owns a goldfish that has passed on. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my concerns and please consider the points I’ve made before deciding to shut down my internet non profit LLC on June 16th 2009.

A business by definition is;

1. an occupation, profession, or trade: His business is poultry farming.
2. the purchase and sale of goods in an attempt to make a profit.
3. a person, partnership, or corporation engaged in commerce, manufacturing, or a service; profit-seeking enterprise or concern.

I am a Rescue, far from a business.

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 pm

This was written and posted on another forum I belong to. I , of course think it’s excellent! Feel free to do with it what you please.

[quote name='BenPursglove' date='Mar 23 2009, 08:55 PM' post='2317586']
OK if anyone wants to help support the MonsterFishRescue.com project please see the email at the bottom of this post.

I'm sure a little spammage from this site will soon sort them out and we can enjoy some more vids. Replace the "etc" at the end of the mail with your name...my mail is going as soon as I post this.

Dear Sir / Madam

It has recently come to my attention that you have recently served Lora& Jonathan Strazinsky (address unknown) with a “stop zoning and/or building violation” order via:
Orwell Zoning Commision
c/o Vicki Thomson
179 West Main Street
Orwell Ohio 44076

Whilst I understand that the laws of your county must be upheld, I think I must internationally state my disagreement regarding the issues surrounding this zoning order. Lora and Jonathan Strazinsky, in my opinion, do a particularly great service locally and to the wider USA community, as they re-house large to very large tropical fish that any negligent previous owner did not realize would grow so big for their fish tank upon buying them. This negligence is routed in fish shop supplying these creatures but there is no jurisdiction in place to stop these shops from doing so.
Lora and Jonathan Strazinsky do not ask for any profit nor recompense for their valued service and seek to further re-house said rescued fish into local attractions and beauty spots that will accommodate them comfortably in time.
For some while now I have been an admirer of Jonathan Strazinsky’s excellent work online, as I believe it embodies the true meaning of the word charity. Charity that is aimed at fish-keepers less knowledgeable than himself, who, in the act of fish keeping, and who decide to try to keep large adult fish in an uncomfortable, near death state in their homes wish to re-house their mistakes. I do not belive he seeks recompense from your juristiction nor from the USA government in the upkeep of these animals, yet.
In short, Jonathan’s work, in my opinion should be admired by your community and much more widely appreciated also, as he is running a non profit organization, I implore you to remove the zoning order. I am a fish keeper and animal owner / lover myself and cannot abide when a creature is destroyed because the owner is negligent. I hope that you will have the good sense to understand the work of Lora and Jonathan Strazinsky, understand what they do and therefore remove the zoning order and uphold the removal as soon as possible.
Yours faithfully

etc

If you want to support this guy email the above code to:

cindy@orwellvillage.org unfortunately poor Cindy is the only point of contact on their contact page... she'll be busy then...
[/quote]

David Hale

Post by David Hale » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Okay I gotta problem with this last one about going after the shops that sell fish. Like the anolgy because one bad apple they are all bad apples? Or the bad kid ruins it for everyone else. I do not sell Pacu's, Red tail cats etc. I think there is some educating needed down the supply chain from the begining to the end buyer. But I do not believe they should be totaly banned. There is people/business that have the resources that can provide for some of these animals without a problem. You gotta watch what you say or do with these uneducated politicians because there will be a band wagon to keep us from having any pet!
I was a Animal Control Officer for a few years & have dealt with all kinds & all kinds of issues. There has been legislation in the past that wanted the customer to have a $10 permit to buy a guppy & the store to have a $15. permit to sell that guppy! There has been crazy stuff in this industry that has happened or can happen or will happen!

me Dave

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:07 pm

I did not write that, it was posted and meant as a platform people could use. I cannot control what people say in their letters, phone calls or what have you. My personal feeling is that pacu should be banned. But that's it really... They just get enormous and only few people can properly keep them. My 1500 is not big enough for a group of pacu.

Copy and paste that letter into your email, then edit as you see fit. Or, do nothing, either way I appreciate it all :)

madbigfoot

Post by madbigfoot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:57 pm

I would tell the city of Orwell to go beep themselves, Wastewater treatment plant!! They have a lot nastier things to deal with other than a few dead aquarium fish. Trust me, I do lots of business with treatment plants and lift stations. Sounds like their desperate for some extra (tax) money. Next time, don't tell them crap. The nice always lose :twisted: !!! Must be a grand event for the community to go after MonsterFish.com. You wouldn't want me at the meeting. I tend to be very forward with my replies. I hope you kick those pr**s buts! Good luck...come to the dark-side since evil always wins!

Gigantopithecus
Sincerely,

Marc A. DeWerth
Ohio Cichlid Association

440-212-0896
www.ohiocichlid.com

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:03 am

Thansk for the vote of confidence Gigantopithecus, but at the meeting I will attempt to leave all emotion at the door and just present the facts. Except for the one part about getting on record the resentment about the dead fish.

trebor69

Post by trebor69 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 am

I would be prone to do a little snooping around for info about those in the village 'government'

You are likely to find they themselves and their friends/family doing something exactly like you are doing.

I would also place a sign in my yard and flyers around town with the part you said above about Avon..eBay...Longaberger...etc.etc
I bet there are a lot of people selling things out of their home that are in the same boat as you.

How does the village feel about garage/yard sales?

probably people selling firewood in their yard?
fruit/vegetable stands?
kids selling lemonaid?

The very term 'conditional permit' is a joke. Thats like saying you are not suppose to be doing that....BUT we will look the other way
if you bend over and let us in your wallet. Get the permit and then file on them for extortion haha

If you get this 'conditional permit' would you be eligible for local tax relief?

trebor69

Post by trebor69 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:19 am

I would also probably leave out all the extra personal info about friends coming over and what tanks you have and such.
Theres probably some dam permit needed for tanks over 100 gallons or sumthin stupid.
They may also have...or enact on your behalf some restrictions on the 'exotic dangerous creatures' living in your home.
(someones child could break into your home and get eaten) is what they will say

I think it would simply be enough to assert that

1. you are a non-profit ORG not a BIZ

and more importantly

2. the official on file address for your org is mfk .COM not your personal residence

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:58 am

I guess we'll see what happens on the 21st..... Thanks :)

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:57 pm

I’m writing this evening to update everyone on the status of Monster Fish Rescue. It seems as if due to a technicality I have no choice but to apply for a conditional use permit in order to keep “running my business in a residential area” The technicality is that Monster Fish Rescue LLC is registered with the state of Ohio, and since MFR is registered as a business and businesses cannot be run in a residential area without a conditional use permit I need to apply for it.
This all stems from trying to do the right thing by getting permission to put up the Monster Fish Rescue.com sign in the front yard. It seems as if you should try to get away with things as long as you can before you get caught, which is the exact opposite thing I’m trying to teach my children.
Apparently:
“It’s better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.”
This is a small town and it seems I’ve angered the mayor so now they’re nit picking and are going to continue to nit pick everything I do. That is the fear I have in applying for the conditional use permit. I’ve been advised to apply for the permit to see what they’re going to want me to do to get it. If their requirements are ridiculous I will have no choice but to shut MFR down. We cannot afford to make the kind of improvements to the property they might require in order to grant the permit.
If it comes down to that I will continue to rescue and re-habilitate fish. I feel it is a service that someone needs to do and that I am willing to do even though it is a continuous financial strain.
On the flip side, I was granted permission to put up the sign.
I have worked very hard and jumped through flaming hoops to get MFR where it is today to just give up. I will do my best to keep you all posted as to the progress of MFR.
Thank you again to those that have supported MFR in the past and to all those that have donated.
Jonathan

trebor69

Post by trebor69 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:41 am

MonsterFishRescue wrote: The technicality is that Monster Fish Rescue LLC is registered with the state of Ohio, and since MFR is registered as a business and businesses cannot be run in a residential area without a conditional use permit I need to apply for it.
I still fail to see it. If the biz is a .com then how is it being 'run in a residential area' ?

You know there are plenty of people who own/run a business beit online or otherwise....are they all suppose to get this special permit
on their own personal residence? You know dang well they use their own personal residence on some small level to help with the biz.
Does any little thing qualify their HOME as part of the biz?
What about the people running an online biz who claim office space in their home on their taxes...
What about the guys who own run their own small biz doing plumbing/carpentry/hvac etc and drive their work van home at night? Is their home now being used for biz purposes?

Heres a good one.... I bet the very people hassling you are claiming some part of their own personal home on their taxes for City/Village business. Do they have a permit haha

I bet there's a lot of people in a similar situation to yours....problem is you are the one currently in their spotlight

I say MFR doesnt stand for Monster Fish Rescue....it stands for Ministry of Fish Rehoming
and you are just Preacher John leading your flock(school) to a better place.
bust out a bible and preach to the fish once a week
file as a tax exempt religion and start taking tax free donations

:D

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:01 pm

Here's the factors involved why they're doing this.

#1. The mayor lied to a festival board and told them my neigbors property was village property then tried to light off fire works without the land owners permission. Funny thing is it was ME the stopped it, well, delayed it because I'm the one who manages the property....

(I pissed off the mayor)

#2. I tried to do the right thing and ASK to put up a sign.

(which I have every right to come to find out)

#3. Revenue. That's all they want is my $175.

Gotta love small towns........

Return to “Announcements”