corys spawned questions

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

dbrummitt

corys spawned questions

Post by dbrummitt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:54 am

Just a couple quick questions. I had one of the groups of corys I have spawn and I pulled the eggs and should be hatching any day. My question is since I can't remember what Eric said he deeds his babies is are micro worms a good first food? I grow my own cultures and I am just wondering if these would be a good starter. Let me know. Dustin B.
Fish and Disc Golf, what else do I need?

Kyle May

Re: corys spawned questions

Post by Kyle May » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:38 pm

Micro worms are fine and the babies will love them.
Decapsulated brine shrimp is easier on you and achieves the same result.
I found that keeping them in a mulm filled bare bottom tank made them grow faster...
but that's my opinion..

Kyle
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

dbrummitt

Post by dbrummitt » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks Kyle. I have the brine I just wasn't sure and couldn't remember and I also already keep my adults in malm they really love it. Thanks for the feedback. Now I just have to wait for them to hatch to see which ones they belong to. Dustin B.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 am

??? You mixed the corydoras sp.? You do know that many cory species are very close in appearance especially at a small size right? You'll have to wait until they are grown to separate them and even then you can' be sure. I hope you aren't mixing like Cichlids too, as in Haplochromis types and Mbuna etc...

dbrummitt

Post by dbrummitt » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:46 am

No I don't mix the cichlids with each other that are close and the Cory cats were never meant to breed they were just for looks. It falls between green and paleatus Cory cats. If I'm not mistaken when Eric spoke on Cory cats he said there was no true case of Cory cats cross breeding. So they were just for looks and one of them breed and now I have like 10 left from about 200 so we will wait and see what happens. Dustin B.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:47 pm

Well, you being such a high volume breeder one had to ask because people have a tendency to mix fish to maximize their breeder output. It sounded as though you had the corys set up to breed because you had not mentioned they were in a "community" tank.

dbrummitt

Post by dbrummitt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:23 am

I gotcha it was my 135 I use for spare males to grow and color up. I was scraping the algae out and behind both intake tubes was tons of eggs. The mixing issue I take the time to make sure I am not mixing like species. They may grow together but when the time comes everyone is rearranged to avoid hybrids. I thank you for the concern but I am doing my best to avoid mixing and Lew would tell me if there looked to be an issue. Thanks Dustin B.

Return to “Announcements”