Winter Auction Recap

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, LewC, Hilary, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, IThinkFast

Kyle May

Winter Auction Recap

Post by Kyle May » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Before I go collapse for the night, I wanted to take a few moments and tell you guys how impressed I am with your teamwork.

It is amazing how smoothly these events run and I am in awe of how it all comes together time after time.

I am equally impressed with how long you guys can stand up on the podium auctioning off stuff left and right for hours on end. I also can't imagine how much work it is to sit at the registration table all day being bombarded with questions and money from all different directions and still managing to keep everything straight.

And there were a few of you that ran bags from the beginning to the end....and some of you never took a break!

I know I am still learning the ins and outs of the events and I'd like to also thank you for your patience and the time you take
to teach us rookies the correct way to run the show as well as how to keep things moving along.

In the midst of all this chaos, you still manage to keep smiling.

I had a great time as usual, and I got some really great bargains...

Here's a huge thank you to all of those folks who show up at all of our events to participate, both buying and selling.
Without you we don't have an event. Without you, the quality and variety of species in my fish room would certainly be dismal.

All the best,

Kyle May
Kyle May
Ohio Cichlid Association
Northern Ohio, USA

LewC

Re: Winter Auction Recap

Post by LewC » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:29 am

Everyone aught to know that Kyle was one of the people who worked all day, and managed to keep smiling.

Lew

Rich Kastor

Post by Rich Kastor » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:50 pm

I wanted tell you about my first OCA auction experience. I was not sure what to expect. The amount of fish is incredible. I have never seen so many bags piled on top of bags. I was only there from the beginning until about 1. I did not realize the volume you would be going through. I brought my 8 year old son and he got impatient very quickly. Next time I am making him a runner or just not bringing him. I only bought two auction items as I had specific fish I was interested in. I'll know next time to dedicate some tank space and the day to spend there. I know I missed out some great deals and great fish. Over all I was truly impressed how the auction ran and how friendly everyone is. I am currently not a member of the OCA but will try to attend your next meeting and see what it's all about.

I found out about this auction through your website.

Well done all,
Rich Kastor

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks Kyle and Rich.

We actually enjoy our work, okay labor of love, and we're very happy when we have nice comments from attendees and even more from people who help and volunteer saying they had fun working their butts off.

Rich, Saturday is A-typical we unusually have more fish items to auction! This time was 'only' around 750 items most auctions are near 1000 to, at times, over 1200!!!!

Kyle glad to have another enthusiastic fish geek join the ranks, you too Andrew!

Next event will be our Annual swap meet in the fall.

Don't forget to sign up for our E-bulletin to get all the information and events!

P.S. Lew was also one of the tireless yesterday! Nice job Lew! I'd also like to thank all our volunteers, if we did not say thank you in person yesterday, THANK YOU!!!

Benz_020

Post by Benz_020 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:32 pm

it sucked, i didnt get any dollar bags :(

j/k
it was great, never seen that many people stay that long, think ive seen less at the end of some extravaganza's.
prices stayed high, my items even sold higher than normal.

you guys running around did great also, i was sitting on my a## the whole time watching you :lol:

i liked the buy it now also, picked up some fish cheaper than what they would have sold for inthe auction.

ajsubotnik

Post by ajsubotnik » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:43 am

We actually enjoy our work, okay labor of love
I think you hit the nail on the head here Dan. I love the events, and it really is a lot of fun to participate in them. It never seems like work, and the interaction with all the other 'fish freaks' always makes for a good time.

It was good to see the buyer turn out that we had, it always helps to keep the prices up until the end, then there is no begging for a dollar come the end of the auction...

It was also good to see the other areas of the auction doing good as well, such as the Buy-it-now table. There seemed to be much more interest in it than there has been at the Extavaganza. It is a building process for it and it was nice to see the interest that people had taken in it.

I'm really looking forward to the upcoming swap meet, as I'm sure everyone else is as well...

-Andrew
What swims in the sea, carries a machine gun, and makes you an offer you can't refuse?

The Codfather

mustangs

Post by mustangs » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:03 pm

I had a great time too. Nothing like shooting the breeze with some pretty cool guys and buying some neat fish. I would have to say that this was one of the better auctions for sellers, though as usual I came home broke. I truly enjoy the time I get to spend with the likes of Andrew, Greg, Kram, Jim Laco, John Hawkins, and I met some really nice new people Mark Dewerth and Eric Bodrock and I guess the Italian Stallion Roberto was pretty cool too. Again, another great event ran by some super people.
Thanks for letting me be part of it.

ajsubotnik

Post by ajsubotnik » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:23 pm

I truly enjoy the time I get to spend with the likes of Andrew, Greg, Kram, Jim Laco, John Hawkins, and I met some really nice new people Mark Dewerth and Eric Bodrock and I guess the Italian Stallion Roberto was pretty cool too.
You should consider yourself extreemly lucky and blessed that you are able to be in the same room with us, let alone speak to us. lol :mrgreen:

-Andrew
What swims in the sea, carries a machine gun, and makes you an offer you can't refuse?

The Codfather

mustangs

Post by mustangs » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Are you trying to give me a complex? This coming from the guy that forgot to bring the rocks for me. Talk about a true friend!

ajsubotnik

Post by ajsubotnik » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:41 pm

lol, thats why no one likes you! :lol:

-Andrew

The Codfather

mustangs

Post by mustangs » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:36 pm

They may not like me, but they don't turn down my power bids now do they?

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 pm

mustangs wrote:They may not like me, but they don't turn down my power bids now do they?
Yes, you win the power bid of the day award. Apparently your $50 opening bid shut down the whole crowd!

mustangs

Post by mustangs » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:34 pm

That's how I roll. Seriously though thanks again for a great event.

Colton

Post by Colton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:42 am

Another Great Auction!

theirs no other auction like it or have as many fish!
had alot of fun my uncle Jeff was one of the runners who didn't quit til the end,
can't wait til the next auction/swap

great job everyone

Colton

Return to “Announcements”