Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

March Speaker: Dr. Richard Kraus, USGS Biologist

Post by LewC » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:18 pm

KrausWithFish.jpg
Dr. Richard Kraus
Submitted

My current position is with the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) as a Research Fish Biologist and Station Supervisor of Lake Erie Biological Station in Sandusky, Ohio, where I conduct ecological research on Great Lakes fishes in support of natural resource management and native species restoration. My primary research interest is complex life cycles in fishes and how migration behavior and habitat use influences population dynamics in the context of fishing and other anthropogenic impacts. I have had the privilege of conducting research on many different species in a diversity of ecosystems, ranging from the most pristine pelagic ocean habitats to heavily modified estuaries such as Chesapeake Bay and Galveston Bay. I find culturally eutrophic (i.e., nutrient enriched) ecosystems most interesting because there is so much to learn about how fish respond to these environments, and because this knowledge has immediate application to human concerns about sustainable fisheries and healthy ecosystems. Thus, applied fisheries science on Lake Erie is a natural fit for my research goals and interests.

I have a B.S. degree in Marine Biology from College of Charleston (SC), M.S. degree in Marine Science from the College of William & Mary, and Ph.D. in Marine, Estuarine, and Environmental Science from the University of Maryland, College Park. After my graduate work, I received a Texas Institute of Oceanography postdoctoral fellowship to work at Texas A&M University at Galveston. Later I secured a faculty position at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, where I taught biology courses and conducted research on Chesapeake Bay. I joined the federal civilian workforce of USGS and moved to Ohio in 2010, and have never looked back.

Once upon a time, I was an avid aquarist, and maintained several different tanks with fresh, brackish, and saltwater assemblages of fish. I typically populated these tanks with fish I captured via hand nets during snorkeling trips along the U.S. east coast. While I no longer keep aquaria, I enjoy all types of recreational fishing and outdoor activities with my wife and three sons.

More information on USGS Great Lakes Science Center and USGS:
http://www.glsc.usgs.gov/
https://www.usgs.gov/

Dr. Kraus’s talk, “Out of Breath and Nowhere to Go: How Low Oxygen Zones Put the Squeeze on Fish Habitat” will examine the situation in Lake Erie and other bodies of water that are heavily affect by human activity.

Next month, Chris Carpenter will visit from the Detroit area to share with us his expertise with “Shell Dwellers of Tanganyika”.

Return to “Announcements”