Scott Myers to Speak for his Home Club in April

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

Scott Myers to Speak for his Home Club in April

Post by LewC » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Scott photo.jpg
Scott photo.jpg (40.41 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Scott Myers was born in Cleveland, and grew up in Shaker Hts. His dad, Keith, had a few tanks of large Central American cichlids around the house, and Scott’s favorite was a big Red Devil. Keith often brought the very young Scott to OCA auctions, and many of us veterans remember Scott standing on the chair next to him, trying to bid on just about everything that came up. Keith kept things under control by signaling the auctioneer with a subtle nod or head shake.

Here is Scott’s account of his development into an aquarist in his own right, and the origins of his interest in showing fish:

My own 1st tank was a 38 gallon that my grandmother bought me, from Pet Supplies Plus, for my 8th birthday. As I started going to more auctions and club meetings, I picked up various other tank setups from club members. As a young kid, I was into keeping display tanks for my own enjoyment, and then I transitioned into wanting to breed fish. I can remember walking into the OCA Extravaganza, at about age 13, and seeing all the show fish. That got me hooked, especially the personality of the Nandopsis hatiensis and the colors of the Aulonacara Peacocks. At this point, my focus changed to wanting to show fish.

That N. hatiensis, which impressed a lot of people, was being shown by area aquarist Ron Georgeone, who, at the time, was considered the top cichlid showman in the US. Scott often picked Ron’s brain for secrets and tips, and is himself now known nationally for his show fish. He won Best of Show at the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Extravaganzas, and at the 2014 and 2016 American Cichlid Association Conventions.

Scott’s basement fishroom contains 90 tanks, ranging in size from 10 to 180 gallons. He has 20 more tanks that are waiting to be set up, including four that are over 300 gallons.

Scott is currently on the OCA board, holding the position of Historian. He is also a member of the Youngstown Area Tropical Fish Society, NEOFish, and the ACA.

A resident of Twinsburg, Scott lives with his wife, Aprielle, and sons Shaun and James. He works as the Materials Manager at the Flambeau Inc. Plastic Blow Molding Facility in Sharon Center. Besides his aquaristic activities, he enjoys working on his 1969 Pontiac GTO and 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix. He also plays rec league basketball and loves boating and fishing, as well.

Scott will share some of the secrets and tricks of his craft in his talk “Showing Fish”.

In May, a nationally-known expert in another aspect of the hobby, Mo Devlin, will be here to talk about aquarium photography.

Return to “Announcements”