Mike Drawdy, of Imperial Tropicals, to visit in March

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

Mike Drawdy, of Imperial Tropicals, to visit in March

Post by LewC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:38 am

Mike Drawdy, our speaker in March, is a 3rd generation fish farmer. His family started Imperial Tropicals, in Lakeland, Florida, in 1970. After serving 4 years in the United States Marine Corps, Mike began working full time for the family business.

According to Mike:

As a young boy, I was fortunate to be able to grow up outdoors every day on a tropical fish farm. I was taught how to hunt and fish and to respect Mother Nature. Now with a family of my own, I am happy to be able to raise my kids in that same tradition.

As manager of Imperial Tropicals, I can follow my passion and love of animals. We put a lot of hard work into properly breeding, raising and caring for our fish. I want our customers to have success with fish keeping and to stay passionate about the hobby.

My favorite part of fish keeping is to learn not only about where the fish comes from in the wild, but also about the people living next to the fish. You start seeing how fragile and threatened this world really is. One of our main focuses at Imperial Tropicals is to breed fish that are threated in the wild, and to educate people about the dangers that they face in their natural habitat. Follow our journey through this life on Facebook. (https://www.facebook.com/ImperialTropicals/)

Imperial Tropicals, which breeds and distributes many types of freshwater aquarium fishes, specializes in cichlids and livebearers. It was exclusively a wholesaler until recently, but now also sells directly to hobbyists. Mike and his crew are familiar faces at the Extravaganza. In the Vendors Room, their display of the gorgeous cichlids and other fish they have for sale gathers near-constant attention.

Mike served on the board for Florida Farm Bureau, and is currently on the Florida Tropical Fish Farms Association Board of Directors. He enjoys sharing his knowledge and experience both by speaking for hobbyist clubs and by posting videos about Imperial Tropicals, fish farming in general, and the fish themselves, on Facebook and You Tube.

Mikes presentation is entitled “Florida Fish Farming”.

Return to “Announcements”