Introducing Feb. speaker Dr. Suzanne Gray

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

Introducing Feb. speaker Dr. Suzanne Gray

Post by LewC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 am

GrayS.jpg
GrayS.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 1305 times
Dr. Suzanne Gray grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada. She developed an interest in fish, not from fish-keeping, but from fishing, which she started as a 3-year-old.

As an undergraduate at the University of Guelph, in Ontario, Dr. Gray studied local sticklebacks, but then had an insight: “(I) realized warm water is much more fun to work in, so I did my PhD research on the island of Sulawesi, in Indonesia, studying telmatherinid fishes found only on that island.” (Telmatherinids superficially resemble tetras, but are more closely related to Rainbows.)

After receiving her PhD from Simon Fraser University, in Vancouver, Dr. Gray traveled to Cape Maclear, on Lake Malawi, to study how cichlids that evolved in clear water deal with the turbidity caused by increased human activity. While doing further post-doctoral work at McGill University, in Montreal, she did similar studies with Pseudocrenilabrus victoriae, both in the lab and in Uganda.

Since 2013, Dr. Gray has worked at The Ohio State University’s school of Environment and Natural Resources, teaching high level courses in Ichthyology and Physiological Ecology. The graduate students in her lab are studying environmental stress on cichlids, and how well Lake Erie Walleyes can see through those nasty algal blooms that we hear about. During the summer, some of this work is done at Stone Laboratory, on Gibraltar Island, in Put-In-Bay. (If you’ve ever taken the Jet Express, or another ferry, to Put-In-Bay, Gibraltar Island is on your right as you approach the docks.)

Dr. Gray’s talk will be a distillation of much of her career’s work, geared down for us hobbyists. It’s entitled “Sexy Males in Muddy Water: How Cichlids Respond to Increased Turbidity in the Wild”.

Next month, Mike Drawdy, of Imperial Tropicals, and a regular at the Extravaganza, will talk about “Florida Fish Farming”.

carlt54

Re: Introducing Feb. speaker Dr. Suzanne Gray

Post by carlt54 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

For Mike D, from Imperial Tropics, next month meaning March?
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar
Future Raffle King
Refreshment Guru

LewC

Post by LewC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Yes, I do.

Thanks for the question. I will be more specific in the future.

deeda

Post by deeda » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:40 am

I thoroughly enjoyed the speaker and her talk yesterday and it would be interesting to see how her future 'experiments' on turbidity and diet turn out so please keep it her in mind for a future talk.
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

Return to “Announcements”