Professional collector Brian Perkins to speak at October 2 Meeting

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

Professional collector Brian Perkins to speak at October 2 Meeting

Post by LewC » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:58 pm

I will let Brian Perkins, our October meeting speaker, introduce himself:

I was “imprinted” to the aquarium hobby at an early age by my father, Kenwood, who had kept aquarium fish since the 1940’s. He seemed to always have either aquariums, a fishroom, or an outdoor pond (sometimes all three!), stocked with interesting fishes at all times. I have been married for 35 years, and have two sons who, in turn, are now themselves being “imprinted” by their father with collecting fish in the Amazon.

I have been actively keeping and breeding fish since 1965 when I got my first pair of brick red swordtails. I have been a member of the AKA off and on since 1973. I joined as a result of my brother Stephen’s passionate interest in killies. I graduated as a Forester from the University of Washington in 1983. In 2000, with the support of an incredibly strong pool of aquarist talent, I started NWKillies, in Oregon, serving the Northwest region. I am a member of NANFA and the ALA as well.

For the past 7 years I have been busy establishing an “Eco” tourism business in Southern Peru called “WildPERU”. We offer custom jungle adventure tours, expedition logistical planning and support, and the export of live Ornamental fish for private collectors and academics. This work has taken me into some very remote and beautiful areas of the South-western and Western Amazon basin.

Brian says he’s bringing a box of fish to donate to the club, so I expect some rare South American dwarf cichlids and catfish to be available in the meeting auction!

Also, here is Brian's current price list if you'd like to order something from him. His email: [email protected]
Brian Perkins's price list.JPG
Brian Perkins's price list.JPG (54.6 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
Next month, we will be hosting David Chapman, from the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. He does research on the fossils found in local shale formations that are exposed by waterways such as the Black and Vermilion Rivers. His presentation is entitled “Famous Fossil Fish of North-Eastern Ohio”.

bennymoreno51

Re: Professional collector Brian Perkins to speak at October 2 Meeting

Post by bennymoreno51 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:17 pm

He is good speaker I listened to on radio blog

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

bennymoreno51

Re: RE: February Bulletin Posted

Post by bennymoreno51 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 pm

Jombi21 wrote:Check the forum or ohiocichlid.com

Thanks to Don Danko for the article!

See you at the NEW meeting location this Friday!

Jom
Wow thst was a great article you puts out keep the great work there

bennymoreno51 wrote:He is good speaker I listened to on radio blog

bennymoreno51 wrote:He is good speaker I listened to on radio blog

bennymoreno51

Re: Professional collector Brian Perkins to speak at October 2 Meeting

Post by bennymoreno51 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:01 am

And keep the great work there on the bulletin boards post and the way very cool photo

Return to “Announcements”