Preview of May Program

Upcoming Events and Club News

Moderators: Jombi21, TheFishGuy, Don Danko, tankmates, LewC, Hilary, IThinkFast

LewC

Preview of May Program

Post by LewC » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:12 am

In order to give OCA members an earlier look at our upcoming meeting program, I'm going to start posting a version of my "Program Preview" column hear each month. I hope you find it helpful.

Ted Judy, this month’s speaker, has been keeping and breeding fish for over 25 years. He is a generalist who works with just about any family of freshwater fish available in the hobby. He has a special interest in fish from West Africa, with a focus on dwarf Cichlids.

By profession, Ted is a high school science teacher, but is currently a full-time stay-at-home father.

Ted is extremely active in the organized hobby. He is on the ACA Board of Trustees. He also served as Chairman as the Milwaukee Aquarium Society hosted last years ACA convention, holding things together when a tornado passed above the convention hotel, disrupting Thursday’s activities. (My wife saw it just before we arrived!) In addition, he is on the boards of the MAS and the Madison Area Aquatic Hobbyists.

On-line, Ted manages two websites. http://www.tedsfishroom.com is his personal blog, and http://www.apistogramma.com is a community site dedicated to dwarf Cichlids.

Ted shares his knowledge and experience other ways, also. He is a prolific speaker, currently having eight presentations that he is prepared to give. He is also a writer and photographer, whose works are frequently published by national aquarium periodicals. Readers of TFH are familiar with his mind-boggling fish breeding competition with Mike Helwig. Currently in TFH, he participates in a tag-team with Eric Hanneman, as they take turns writing the “Cichlid World” column.

Here, Ted describes the presentation he’ll be giving us:

This talk documents my 2011 fish collecting trip to Gabon, West Africa. The presentation includes photography and video from many collecting locations. Gabon is a place that is infrequently visited by traveling aquarists, and a country from which there is no commercial exportation of tropical fish. You will see many interesting species that are virtually unheard of in the hobby.

I hope you can join me in welcoming Ted to the OCA.

Lew

Jombi21

Re: Preview of May Program

Post by Jombi21 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:34 am

:roar of applauds:

Next meeting will be fantastic!

dtoth

Post by dtoth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:04 am

Have to agree I'm looking forward to hearing his talk on Gabon. I've followed Ted's site and columns in TFW for awhile now but yet to hear him speak in person. Also like the pre meeting column idea giving us an insight on what is to come of the next meeting.
Fishy Dave

tjudy
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by tjudy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

Thanks for promoting the meeting Lew! I am really looking forward to being there.

Return to “Announcements”