Rhamphochromis sp. "Longiceps Yellowbelly" Spawning

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

Meeli

Re: Rhamphochromis sp. "Longiceps Yellowbelly" Spawning

Post by Meeli » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:12 am

Last time it was 25 young but they laid a lot more eggs most were lost to the other fish stealing them

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:29 am

Has the female released her fry yet, Mark?
Dave Schumacher
http://www.davesfish.com

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:46 am

Unfortunately, no. Seems like the male hasn't begun producing sperm yet. I have watched all the spawnings, and it seems as though the eggs should have been fertilized. Each brooding female ceases to hold after 3 days. I think eventually, they'll get it right.

Dave Schumacher
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dave Schumacher » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:58 am

That's too bad. Hopefully, time will get it right.
Dave Schumacher
http://www.davesfish.com

alpha_mare

Post by alpha_mare » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:23 pm

I really like your ramphs. They are gorgeous. I have some macrophthalmus. A bunch now... but my females wouldn't hold their eggs with other non-ramphs in the tank, even little ones. I built a little structure too out of pavers for them to go in like a garage and be protected and a big plastic plant, she releases the fry into the plastic plant when they are old enough and they hide there under the leaves, not moving until you move the plant, you can't see them at all.

Not too many people into these fish, but everyone who sees the grownups loves them. What do you feed your adult fish? I am looking for some better food for them.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:36 am

They'll eat any aquarium foods offered. I fed mine pellets, mysis, and flakes. I would supplement their diet with thawed out small silversides.

Lib95

Post by Lib95 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:42 am

I feed mine mainly NLS pellets along with frozen mysis, brine shrimp and some silversides.

alpha_mare

Post by alpha_mare » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:51 pm

Thanks Lib95 and Mark--
My flake has large flake pieces but they seem frustrated with it from time to time, though they do well on it. They disliked the pellets I've tried so far, though a soft NLS might do the trick. They like live fish like guppies alot but I don't raise enough to feed them and don't trust the store bought. They just are starting to get big. I have them in a low long 125 gallon. With all this talk they spawned again. I have alot of nice size F2 fry if anyone wants some, I'd be happy to gift a few to people who want them, or trade for something, if you pay shipping to you. They aren't big sellers but are amazing. I haven't been trying to have them spawn, it was a surprise. My breeders are from two separate bloodlines because I split two shipments with a buddy getting some for himself.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it and like the photos.

Lib95

Post by Lib95 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:11 pm

Some of my smaller ones don't like the hard pellets either. I've had good luck using the HBH Soft & Moist Krill pellets. They come in two different sizes and I haven't had any problems with any of the rhamph's accepting them. Ocean Nutrition also makes a softer cichlid pellet I believe as well.

Brendan

dykemyster

Post by dykemyster » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:09 am

Interested behavior with the location of the eggs and great pic showing it! My group just bred for the 2nd time and I was not paying attention about where the eggs were located so I missed any opportunity I had. One thing that I did notice as extremely interesting and different was that I witnessed approx 8+ eggs come out at the same time almost like an amphibian! It shocked me as the first three or so eggs came out one at a time and then BAM a huge string of eggs came out all at once. I took some video but I don't think I captured the act; if I do find a pic or video I will link it to the thread. I am very curious as to whether anyone has seen the eggs come out like this?

One thing I noticed about my male and I kind of see on your male too is that they get some black when breeding. All of my rhamps have bright yellow ventrals and anal fins. The dominant male gets lots of black and when breeding the ventrals seem to be solid black while the anal fin is about half black with the black being at the edges.

Here are some pics of my Rhampsochromis macropthalmus "Mbenji", mine look very similar to the fish above but these are larger as my female is easily 6.5" and my dominant male might be as large as 7.5"-8", I would still not claim mine to be a large Haplochromine as I have kept many Protomelas species that get larger than this fish and they certainly don't get anywhere near the size of the Champsochromis species which makes all of these smaller Rhamps very well suited for the tank life. Mine seem to do great in my 125g and they still even school together which is an awesome site.

Erik Dyke
http://www.dykemyster.com

dykemyster

Post by dykemyster » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:49 am

Oh, also something else to talk about while on the subject of Rhampsochromis is how can there be approx (7) different kinds of Rhampsochromis at one location (Monkey Bay in 4th edition of Lake Malawi Cichlids p 390-391)? I know its a pretty big location but this seems highly unlikely but the book clearly shows what looks to be (7) different kinds of Rhamps. I would like to get my hands on the long fin yellow from Monkey Bay and I would also like to get the Rhamps with the largest teeth.

And apparently the Rhamps I have are not name longiceps and no longer called macropthalmus.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Dykemyster:

Great observations. Have your Rhamphos held their eggs to full term?

On another note, I noticed on your website that you sell many Lake Malawi Haplochromines. The list showed many species already sold. Are you regularly updating your list/regularly getting in fresh wild caught material? One genus I would love to see come in is Caprichromis (liemi and orthognathus). I know they have come into a couple of european countries and Japan, but I am not sure if they have come into America in any numbers.

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”