Starting my first AC tank in 20 years - advice?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

nycman

Starting my first AC tank in 20 years - advice?

Post by nycman » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:15 pm

Had a successful AF tank in the 90s, but only 75 gallon. I have since been running large 200g+ reef and freshwater planted tanks successfully.

Starting a new African Cichlid tank, Mbunas and Lake Malawi. Peninsula style 72" by 30" by 30", rimless with 3/4" starfire glass - 245 gallons. Going with 300lbs of Texas Holey Rock and a black sand substrate. Plan will be to let it all get dark with algae and not keep it clean with that unnatural looking, actual reef like, bright white bleached appearance. Will have two Kessil A360Xs over the tank creating extreme shimmer. Will run them generally much dimmer than on a reef setup, but programmed with sunset, sunrise, clouds, etc. and with a >10K spectrum. Filtration will be a custom 60" Lifereef wet dry sump with bio ball towers, media filter canisters with carbon, purigen and gfo (fluidized), UV sterilizer, and an algae turf scrubber. Will do semi automatic water changes weekly - 100 gallons each weekend. Am prepared to do medium light plants that can tolerate higher PH, just won't start with them. Plan to overstock, and run it at zero nitrates and phosphates.

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”