New to cichlids, need help

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

Sleigh29

New to cichlids, need help

Post by Sleigh29 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 pm

So like any excited beginner, I have jumped into the cichlid world! I recently got a pair of peacock cichlids (1 m: 1 f) I'm taking the female back, as I finally did my research and dont want her dying from being chased constantly. I do not want to breed, but I would like advice on more tankmates. My tank already has an angelfish, a blue gourami, 3 silver dollars and now the male peacock. Would a couple more peacocks be okay, or is there another colorful, active fish I could add? I have plenty of room for a few more medium sized fish, with plenty of hidey holes and a sandy substrate. Thank you for any help!

bdmminer

Re: New to cichlids, need help

Post by bdmminer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Hello Sleigh, congratulations on wanting to jump more into the world of cichlids! Also before we talk about additional tankmates it would help to know what size tank we are talking about and if you should add more fish to it. Secondly I would also return the Male peacock that you recently bought, or buy a big tank to house him and a bunch of other male peacocks, haps, and possibly mbunas.

Why I am telling you this is because unlike your angelfish, peacocks are much more boisterous and territorial. If he hasn't started already there is a high probability he may pick on the other fish in your tank and nip their ornate finnage in the coming weeks. Although not always true usually mixing cichlids from different continents can cause issues.

Some people may have had luck with keeping them together without problems. But it is not something that I personally will do and make sure to keep them seperate.

Sleigh29

Re: New to cichlids, need help

Post by Sleigh29 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:08 pm

Thank you!
I've been doing my research (ashamed to say I'm very late on that) and although everyone has been getting along famously, I realize my angelfish is probably stressed because of the difference in needed ph and hardness of the water, so I'm planning on setting up a separate tank for the angelfish and gourami. I am in love with my playful peacock and would really like to keep him and possibly add others once I get those two moved. I would certainly like any advice or tips with restocking
I have a 55g, 48×12×21

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”