Labidochromis unusual death

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

Loic

Labidochromis unusual death

Post by Loic » Wed May 23, 2018 6:50 am

Hi guys
I'm new to the forum, but not new in fish keeping.

I have several aquarium from 700lt to 80 for my snaller with lots of different cichlid, live bearer etc planted tank high tech and non planted tank.
Everything is healthy and well maintained since years.

But here is my problem:

1 of my female labido 1,5 years old just died, I can't find any reason to that mater.

She was in 300lt (4ft) aquarium, half sand half gravel, with placid tetra, her male, and 1 juvenile.

When she started to hide and stop eating I thought she might be mouthing some fry... all good.
The male was too full on, always annoying her, so I decided to transfer him in the 6ft with the others, and let her caring.
After about 3 weeks she was starting to showing up more often, and I thought good I might get some baby.
But after 3 days she was getting active again, she died. She was looking healthy a couple of hours ago, then I went for the feeding and she was just floating. And no baby in the tank.

I examined her she has no signs of disease. She was just dark as when they are cranky or stressed. Nothing else.

My water parameters are all good, the tank is setup since 1 year or so
Ph 7.8 ammonia 0 nitrite o nitrate never more than 20.
Does anyone else had that problem?
Cheers

SergeS

Re: Labidochromis unusual death

Post by SergeS » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 am

I think you answered your own question - looks like stress is the culprit here, either direct or indirect (lower resistance against diseases). But without proper analysis we will not be sure of course :)

With Mbuna, it's not a good idea to keep them in a pair without any competition or diversion. Keep several females to one male. Or better yet, keep them in a large group (very similar to lake Tanganyika's Tropheus spp.). The males have an overdose of testosteron, and will keep chasing the females, even if they are already carrying eggs.

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”