Mystery

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

bluemoon38

Mystery

Post by bluemoon38 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:29 am

45 gal tank with 1 unsexed yellow lab added 2 lace catfish and 3 peacocks, next morning 3 dead peacocks, no sign of trauma but I'm suspicious of aggression. Water chemistry is by the book. Any ideas?

edevingo

Re: Mystery

Post by edevingo » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:31 am

bluemoon38 wrote:45 gal tank with 1 unsexed yellow lab added 2 lace catfish and 3 peacocks, next morning 3 dead peacocks, no sign of trauma but I'm suspicious of aggression. Water chemistry is by the book. Any ideas?
How long has the yellow Lab been in the tank alone? The Peacocks where they smaller than the Lab? Any idea if they where Male or female? Pictures would help.
Generally Mbuna are extremely territorial, they stake out real estate and defend it tirelessly. Africans also do an excellent job at being on their best behaviour while we are around, no matter when I go to any of my tanks, they all stop what their doing and stare at me. IME having 1 Mbuna in a tank for even a few days,the tank becomes theirs. I actually removed a Male yellow lab placed him in a 40g breeder because he was causing chaos in my main tank. Few days later placed a Red Zebra who was also causing chaos. That lasted 10 min before getting him out, the yellow lab went straight at him full force. A week later decided I'd add 5 females, he didn't attack them as before but he didn't allow them to move.
Could also be shock of some sort, the place you purchased them, three parameters could be a big enough difference to kill them. Whenever I purchase fish I ask them what there PH is , Water temp ect.. If they can't tell me, I won't purchase them. I had an experience with Ph shock, it was an awful experience and nothing I did helped.
There's many things that could've caused it. Again pictures would definitely help

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”