New and already stressing

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

Ricky1066

New and already stressing

Post by Ricky1066 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:58 am

Hello all, I am new to the group and new to African Cichlids. I have had community fish my entire life and never had so many issues as I have been having with these Africans.
I have a 65 gallon tank with 16 mixed peacocks and Haps in them, I had 10 that I ordered online and they were doing Great. One of my Buddies went to a LFS and bought me 6 big 6 inch new ones. I do not have a QT tank so I just put them in. I noticed right away the one was hanging on top doing nothing so I posted a photos On a Facebook page and everyone said OMG he has bloat he would not eat . And he was pooping white stringy which is a internal parasite, I also noticed several others only the new ones were also pooping white. Next day the fish that was hanging in corner was my most active swimmer and still is. But the fish that I got and 2 of mine now are still pooping white after 10 days. I have been treating them with PraZi Pro and Metro also flake food they would not eat pellets the flakes are medicated. I have seen no change at all .. I notice two days ago some of the fish are rubbing on the rocks about 4 of them So I am told it may be Gill flukes or Ich.. NO visible signs of icH but I am told it may be not visible yet. I also notice last night that some maybe 3 have black spots on their fins..
I do water changes every other day .Temp is 85.Ammoniao is .05Nitrite is 0 Ph is 7.4 and Nitrate is 20.
I keep a really clean tank and have No idea why every day is something new.
I Have taken advice from so many people I think I am going nuts.

SergeS

Re: New and already stressing

Post by SergeS » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 am

I think you answered the question yourself. 10 fish were doing great, but when you added 6 new ones, the problems started. Either the new fish were already sick (bloat is very contagious), or you have too many fish in the tank. Or a combination of both.

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”