I need help with my cichlids

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

69z28lover

I need help with my cichlids

Post by 69z28lover » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:46 pm

I am new to Cichlids. I am desperate for some advice. I have been watching YouTube and reading anything I can about them on the internet.
I have a 150 Gallon Tank, It has been set up for roughly 6 months. I decided to do a cichlid tank. I ordered 30 baby/juvenile cichlid (African Cichlids)online from Live Fish Direct. I have also bought a few from PetSmart.
I have had them for 2 months now, and recently woke up to a fish stuck to my filter. Another one hiding on the bottom Not eating. I keep my tank Very clean. I test the water once a week. N02 is 0 , N03 is close to 0, PH is 7.5, KH is 40, GH is 60.
I do 50% water changes every 4 to 5 days. My cichlids don't have any systems, no bloat, no puffed eyes, no bulging scales, no spots, no fungus, their fins are pretty, no fraying, no missing chunks, NOTHING.. . For the life of me cant see anything wrong with them. The first one that died wouldn't eat and was skinny.. So would I call that "wasting away"??. Then when I lost a 2nd fish I really started taking notice on who wasn't eating. I now have 2 more fish hiding and not eating. There is very little aggression in the tank. I think because they are all between 1.5-2.5 inches in size and lots of hiding spots.. I treated with Clout yesterday. I know that was probably not the right thing, but I couldn't find any reason they were starting to die and I wanted to save the remaining fish.. Question, do I keep treating with Clout, or just do 1 dose.
I have NOT fed my fish since I treated. How many days do I withhold food from them? One article I found said Treat with 1 tablet clout per 10 gallons on day 1, then on day 2, do a half dose.. Day 3 nothing. Day 4 , 50% water change and full dose. Day 5 50% change NO dose. End of treatment. Does that sound right?
I really would appreciate anyone's feedback. I have grown very attached to these guys and panicked a little..
Thanks so much.
Tracey

Wyoming_Reptiles

Re: I need help with my cichlids

Post by Wyoming_Reptiles » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 am

I would try that treatment plan but to me it sounds like the fish that died were "weak links" and got bullied by other fish. Next time you feed try putting a piece of zucchini or vegetable on 6 parts of the tank so the fish don't have to fight as bad for food. And the vegetables should clear there gut out as well.

les.carman

Post by les.carman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:24 pm

If they are African cichlids try slowly raising up PH to about 8.4 i use seachem more hiding places part from that I'd stay away from forums you get mixed information half of which is wrong I've only come on for a laugh keep numbers high and over filter
Good luck
Les

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 am

Clout sounds like a good plan since it is possible they had parasites. You can withhold food easily for a week or more, but since I have never treated with Clout, I don't know if you stop feeding or not. As to taking advice on a forum; you do have to look around and find the better forums for it. You'll get conflicting information any place you have people. :)

Good luck with your fish. Maybe some others who've treated for this issue can speak up on their experiences.

coenb

Post by coenb » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:22 am

How are things at the moment. What struck me is kH (40) en gH (60) level. Don't know if this is "ppm" or "° DH". But either your levels are way to low or way to high. Check this f.i. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/w ... mistry.php.

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”