Labidochromis caeruleus "Ruarwe" Orange Labs

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

Didgeridoo

Labidochromis caeruleus "Ruarwe" Orange Labs

Post by Didgeridoo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:56 am

I've heard conflicting opinions/experience with regards to the truth behind whether or not these fish are from "Ruarwe" or not. However, this is what they were sold to me as from Spencer Jack and their colour/characteristics match other photos from European aquarists who are also calling these fish "Ruarwe". Konings describes only a white morph from this location, and it may be that the original exporters called it something else in order to protect their collection site. Wondering if there has been any recent news on this. There's quite a number of sources crediting this morph. (See at the bottom of the post.)

The main differences/observations are an overall more orange/yellow colour than the standard lemon yellow. Also, the dorsal stripe is bordered with iridescent blue above and below the submarginal line of black. Other notable differences include a lack of blue iridescence in the tail and anal fins, as seen with other yellow morphs. The colour is very rich and continues right into the stomach region, which can be pale especially in some individuals of the Lion's Cove morph.

Currently I have 16 juveniles approx 2" in length that are not quite of breeding age. The males are starting to show off however, and now it's just a waiting game. I'm currently doing 10-gallon water changes daily and feeding a varied diet with spirulina flake and Xtreme Peewee Pellets. They also get to chew on Xtreme Cat Scrapers which I put in there to feed the Syno. grandiops that is with them. The group seems to be male heavy so I'm hoping for at least a few females. I've removed a few of the lesser males to another tank and kept the best male in with the rest. As other males begin to show their colour I'll remove them as well and only keep a couple of the best males for my breeding group.

Here's a couple pics from when I first obtained them from Spencer at 1.5". This was in the previous tank with different lighting (warm white bulb). No flash was used.

Couple pics from tonight. Sorry I have the aeration going directly into the powerhead to maximize oxygen in the water. No flash was used.
Dominant male
Likely female

I'll try next time with my flash and see if it shows the orange colour better.

Other sites showing Labidochromis caeruleus "Ruarwe"
http://www.onzemalawicichliden.eu/Besta ... 20eng.html
http://www.rosbal.com/ciclidos/caeurele ... dades.html
http://www.cichlidnews.com/issues/2013jul/whatsnew.html

Larry Johnson

Re: Labidochromis caeruleus "Ruarwe" Orange Labs

Post by Larry Johnson » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:13 am

I have dove where this fish was supposed to be captured from at Ruware (2009), with Ad Konings. Ad was shown this color morph while in Europe doing a speaking engagment and was told where to find them,,,No luck so far, but I'm sure it's there.
You either go deep or shallow and I went deep,,,I thought I had observed one fry as it went into the rocks, but no pictures to confirm this.
Ruware is at the eastern tip/point of Usisya and I'm sure this place has been passed up as not being an area with "collectable fish". At the point there is a steep mountain there, and in similar area's usually continues straight down to the bottom indicating that the area is just deep water. What we found there on closer observation was a large shelf that levels off before going deeper which is unusual. 150 feet from shore and you are in well over 120 feet of water though.
I've passed this location many times since then and we just plain ran out of time to dive there.
I'm sure they are there, it's just a matter of which end of the shelf they are on.
Maybe this year.

Cheers,Larry

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:53 am

Thanks for the reply Larry!
Having worked for several seasons on a giant lake, Great Bear Lake, I can imagine how difficult it must be to find such small fish and how weather dependant it must be. The one disadvantage we have is the density of fish is much less and although we have several different ecological morphs of Lake Trout, we don't have near the biodiversity. The water is also just damn cold, always. Lol

Thanks again Larry, appreciate you taking the time to share your expertise and experience from the lake. :) Fascinating stuff.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:56 am

A quick pic from tonight of the dominant male.

JHG

Post by JHG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:18 am

I have these as well and noticed that Spencer recently added them to his list. I acquired mine in Michigan. Not a ton of info online that I could source either. Nice looking species. Mine have produced offspring a few months ago. I'm also looking forward to hearing/reading any concrete updates on the species.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:12 am

JHG wrote:I have these as well and noticed that Spencer recently added them to his list. I acquired mine in Michigan. Not a ton of info online that I could source either. Nice looking species. Mine have produced offspring a few months ago. I'm also looking forward to hearing/reading any concrete updates on the species
Awesome! Ya they're definitely nice compared to most standard Yellow Labs. Have you noticed much variation in the black coloration in the dorsal fins? A few of the males have less black so I chose the two with the most black to try to retain the genetics as best I could into the offspring. Where'd you acquire yours from?

JHG

Post by JHG » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:40 am

I aquired mine from an importer in Michigan. I'm in Windsor on the border with Detroit so I usually purchase most of my cichlids in Michigan, Ohio or ship stuff into Detroit and pick them up. That US exchange is slowing things down at the moment. But it helps being a member of the MCA, OCA and the WCCG.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:55 am

That's convenient! I used live in Winnipeg and it was great having Spencer so close. But now I live in the heart of the Rockies in BC and there's not much around except Elk and Sheep. lol The local pet shop has all your typical staple fish which I have no interest in.

The Ruarwe are getting closer to spawning. Three females are swollen in the belly and the vents are swollen. Usually a telltale sign that they're gravid. I remember when I had a big group of Lab.perlmutt, everytime a female's vent would swell I could expect eggs with 24 hours. Granted those fish were experienced breeders. I had one female perlmutt that I had to separate because she would be holding eggs two days after releasing a batch and would never get a chance to recover. I finally pulled her out so she could fatten back up without a "stud" around. haha.

Looking forward to getting these guys going.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:02 pm

The largest female spawned today. I noticed this morning her vent was protruding and typically with Labidochromis that means you can expect a spawn within 24 hrs. I doubt she'll hold to term but glad to see they're figuring things out.

JHG

Post by JHG » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Seperate the fish if you can and allow her to spit out the fry in her own time.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:00 pm

Ya I will, I like to let them hold for a couple days first in the main tank first. Don't want to stress her out right away after spawning.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:21 am

The Ruarwe were at it again today after a 50% water change. I noticed again this morning that one of the females was very gravid and her oviposter was quite swollen. Within an hour of doing the water change and they were at it. I've added a tank divider to the tank so the female will be moved tomorrow to the divided section.

There's one more female that is quite gravid so hopefully they get going pretty good. Sadly out of the 16 that I purchased it appears there's only 3 females.

From the first spawn the female only had 4 fry which are finishing off their yolk sacs in an egg tumbler. They're about 2 weeks old now. The female of these fry was the largest of the three females but I think it was lack of experience. They'll figure it out.

Dominant Male

Holding Female

JHG

Post by JHG » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:07 am

All the best!

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:23 am

Cheers Jay.

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:13 pm

Third female spawned today. This one was the smallest of the three I have.

So I have two females holding and one that spit 4 fry. Good start!

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:10 am

Well looks like I'm up to 16 fry total from three spits. Pretty stoked considering this was their first go. All three females are back in the colony and gaining weight back.

JHG

Re: RE: Re: Labidochromis caeruleus "Ruarwe" Orange Labs

Post by JHG » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:26 am

Didgeridoo wrote:Well looks like I'm up to 16 fry total from three spits. Pretty stoked considering this was their first go. All three females are back in the colony and gaining weight back.
Congrats!

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks Jay.

Aggression is pretty much non-existent. I have some F1 Pundamilia nyererei "Makobe" juvies and some Pseudotropheus acei "Luwala" juvies in with the colony right now. The tank is very active with zero signs of aggression. Since adding the juvies the dominant male Lab seems to just mind his own business. Eventually the Punds will go to another tank once they catch up to the larger ones I have.

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:56 am

Great job there on your photo of your African cichlid fish

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Didgeridoo

Post by Didgeridoo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 am

Well the largest female is holding for the second time as of this morning. Tell tale sign that they're going to spawn within a couple days is a swollen vent. When it protrudes prominently, spawning is eminent.

Her last spit resulted in only 4 fry so we'll see what she's got in a couple weeks. She doesn't seem to carry many eggs despite being the largest female.

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”