Question about the Pseudotropheus Elongatus

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

vash!

Question about the Pseudotropheus Elongatus

Post by vash! » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Hello, Im sort of new in this hobby. I have a question about something which is a bit unclear to me. It is about the pseutropheus elongatus species. I have noticed that they have different names, based on their locations and coloring.

So I was wondering, are they all the same species, but just a different type and coloring or a total different specie from each other.

So lets say, would a Mpange and a Chewere be similair to a moscow guppy and a snakeskin guppy? Or would they be more like a fancy guppies and endler guppies?

Or, if we talking in terms of cichlids, would they be like a tiger oscar or a red oscar, or more like a astronotus ocellatus and a Astronotus crassipinnis?

And besides the coloring, are there any difference in their character, behavior and aggressiveness? and in particular, between the chewere, mpanga, chialosi, mbenji, flavus and the citende.

ha77

Re: Question about the Pseudotropheus Elongatus

Post by ha77 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:32 pm

From what I have gathered the classifications of Cichlids is ever changing..but to at least try and give you some clarity....

Genus= Psuedotropheus
Species= Elongatus
Sub Species= Mpanga

Genus= Psuedotropheus
Species= Elongatus
Sub Species= Chewere

The term Mpanga and Chewere would be the sub species if I am not mistaken. Still fairly new so anyone feel free to correct me....but either way I basically asked the same question on another forum so I'll just repeat the answer from that.

For mbuna a lot of people will say to keep them species only if you want to breed, I think you can do 2-4 species comfortably in a 55-90 gal tank depending on the size of your groups. However I would begin by figuring out what you want your core species to be, then figure out what genus it is. From there pick another genus that you like and repeat until 3-4 are selected. I also go for different looking fish for 2 purposes, firstly Africans select mates on appearance, so if females normally breed with blue males and you have orange ones she won't try to breed with those. Secondly I think it makes the tank look a lot better with different colours haha. While there are documented cases of yellow labs and red zebras breeding (being from different genus) as long as you have females with the males you should be ok. Best of luck and feel free to keep asking questions.

Hope that helps a bit.

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:53 am

Mpanga and Chewere are locations, not subspecies. The name "elongatus" has been attached to many probably unrelated species, and the location names are the only current way to identify them so that they can be kept apart. For your analogy, it would be more like Guppies and Guppy-tailed Mollies, and Endler's. Mixing them would not be a good idea.

Often you will see them as "sp. Elongatus", which is an indication that they may be related to elongatus, or similar in appearance. However, some people drop the sp., and just call them elongatus, which is inappropriate, as it implies that they belong to that species, when in fact they do not.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Philippe Burnel
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Philippe Burnel » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:42 pm

And don't forget that the "elongatus group" has been recently splitted. specially with the description of a new genus (Chindongo) and many other sp are included in Maylandia :D , Tropheops etc..

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”