Is this a female A. stuartgranti chipoka?

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

dipaolt

Is this a female A. stuartgranti chipoka?

Post by dipaolt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello,

I am recently joined the forum, although I have been a member of Cichlidae.com for a while and thought I would now ask a question which has been vexing me for a while. I purchased what I thought was a male Aulonacara stuartgranti "chipoka" last summer, but it has since then turned out to be a female as it mates with other definitely male peacocks, it has spawned with them and I could see the ovipositor on her abdomen, and I have even seen it expel eggs from the ovipositor. Yet, this fish looks male in coloration, except for its rounded dorsal fin.

Does anyone know if female "chipokas" have indeed been bred to have such coloration? Or is my fish something else?
Attachments
A stuartgranti chipoka.jpg

SergeS

Re: Is this a female A. stuartgranti chipoka?

Post by SergeS » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 am

It's certainly not a female, but a male. Which species, I don't know, but I suspect it's indeed a hybrid of some sort.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:03 pm

This is a male Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" from Chidunga Rocks, just offshore from the town of Chipoka. The interesting thing about Aulonocara from Chidunga Rocks, is that most specimens are yellowish, with a small percentage of the population being orange. The specimen in the photo was somewhat line bred to bring out the orange more than what is typically seen in wild caught specimens.

I also have my doubts that it is the same species as Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" from the Maleri Island chain, which is advocated by Konings in his Lake Malawi cichlid books.

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:28 am

Wow. Never knew they could have so much orange. I used to own A. sp "stuartgranti maleri", but mine was indeed bright yellow. Looked pretty much like A. baenschi with the head of A. stuartgranti :) :

dipaolt

Post by dipaolt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:10 pm

Sorry for replying to any your responses back in August, but I was was away until just recently.
The fish, surprisingly, is a female, because it has spawned and laid eggs. I wasn't sure at first, myself, but its fins are also rounded. It mated with yellow A, s. Maleri. It may be an S. s. Maleri from Chidunga Rocks, but the Maleri usually have a fairly even coloration, not red shoulders and grayish body like my fish. So, I still wonder...
Attachments
A stuartgranti maleri and A s chipoka_1364.jpg

dipaolt

Post by dipaolt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Mark Smith wrote:This is a male Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" from Chidunga Rocks, just offshore from the town of Chipoka. The interesting thing about Aulonocara from Chidunga Rocks, is that most specimens are yellowish, with a small percentage of the population being orange. The specimen in the photo was somewhat line bred to bring out the orange more than what is typically seen in wild caught specimens.

I also have my doubts that it is the same species as Aulonocara sp. "Stuartgranti Maleri" from the Maleri Island chain, which is advocated by Konings in his Lake Malawi cichlid books.

Sorry for replying to any your responses back in August, but I was was away until just recently.
The fish, surprisingly, is a female, because it has spawned and laid eggs. I wasn't sure at first, myself, but its fins are also rounded. It mated with yellow A, s. Maleri. It may be an S. s. Maleri from Chidunga Rocks, but the Maleri usually have a fairly even coloration, not red shoulders and grayish body like my fish. So, I still wonder..
Attachments
A stuartgranti maleri and A s chipoka_1364.jpg

SergeS

Post by SergeS » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:02 am

That is a surprise indeed!

iluvbikestwo

Post by iluvbikestwo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:45 pm

:o

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”