New demasoni fry

Discussion about cichlids from Lake Malawi

Moderator: Troy

tinker477

New demasoni fry

Post by tinker477 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 am

I have my very first brood of demasoni fry and am pretty psyched to have discovered right after the mom spit them that I have 2 more holding female s. What I am wondering with them being pretty m uch herbivores what should I be feeding the fry? Been using powered fry food but should I stay away from baby brine like I feed alot of my fry ? I also use a mixture I made for my fry of golden pearls and spirulina powder. I just recently started hatching my own baby brine and it wild watching my lil neo brichardi (daffodils) fry chase em down or my pseudo cobalt fry they hide in the fry tank to the point ud think my tank is empty put some baby brine in there and they all come out. Also with the demasoni fry I already seen them chasing each other down and they arent even a week old !! I counted about 32 fry in the brood and figure the other two holding females have about another week before they spit. I did have an issue the first few times with the moms swallowing the eggs but I think that was cause they were still young and inexperienced. Hopefully all goes well and ill have 3 broods before long so any info would be apreciated thanks all :)
Go big or go home :) 2400g and growing

SergeS

Re: New demasoni fry

Post by SergeS » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Young brine is fine for the youngsters. In adittion, feed them a mix of ground Spirulina flakes and granulate (grind to dust!), or simply food for young fish readily available from your LFS. Not sure what is available where you live, but products like BabyMin from Tetra or Liquifry are often used. The youngsters are quite soon capable of handling Cyclops nauplius. Even if you don't feed them, several of them will grow up anyway - in a matured tank.

It's quite normal that young females mess up their first couple of nests - at least in an aquarium. But practice makes perfect. Believe me, at some point you'll be glad NOT to have fry :lol:

Good luck with raising the young uns :)

tinker477

Post by tinker477 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:21 am

I have been giving em some golden pearls mixed within spirulina powder also have fry food thats a powdered type grow formula just wasnt sure if it was too high protein for the veggie eaters its amazing how quickly they do grow tho. Thanks a ton I have a few tanks full of different fry and prob 3 holding females. My jalo reef female should be spitting anyday now. today im going to be setting up like 6 more breeding tanks I had my bf drag down into the fish room (hes going to end up killing me lol ) the only problem im finding is having enough outlets but hes handy withi electrical so going to have to put some more outlets in for me :) but thanks for the info I definately appreciate any help I can get :)
Go big or go home :) 2400g and growing

Ad!4

Post by Ad!4 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:38 pm

Thank for sharing your idea on feeding them. I can see the results. :D
Ada

Return to “Lake Malawi Cichlids”