Switching Gears... Opinions needed

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

TheFishGuy

Switching Gears... Opinions needed

Post by TheFishGuy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:34 pm

The species listed in red are species I currently own. I plan to stock my big tank with SA cichlids.

'Aequidens' pulcher
'Aequidens' rivulatus
Amphilophus festae
Astronotus crassipinnis
Astronotus ocellatus
Caquetaia spectabilis
Caquetaia umbrifera
Cichlasoma facetum
Cichlasoma portalegrense
Crenicichla semicincta

'Geophagus' steindachneri
Guianacara sphenozona
Heros severus
Hoplarchus psittacus
Hypselecara temporalis

Satanoperca jurupari
Uaru amphiacanthoides

The tank is an "L" shaped 1200 gallon.

What would you add from this list?

Alex Odesit

Re: Switching Gears... Opinions needed

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:22 pm

These will work:
'Aequidens' pulcher
Heros severus
Uaru amphiacanthoides

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:19 am

Those were what I was thinking too. I'd like to add festae also...

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:02 am

far too agreessive for the others

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 am

TheFishGuy wrote:Those were what I was thinking too. I'd like to add festae also...
I would not add Festae. As Bas mention: Far too aggressive and muddy.
Can go crazy at any time and chase victim to death, even in large tank. Sometimes saying about cichlid is "Out of sight out of mind", but in my experience adult Festae remember and looking for the selected victim.

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:02 pm

I've had festae in this tank before with zero issues... But I suppose I should keep them out just in case...

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:22 pm

TheFishGuy wrote:I've had festae in this tank before with zero issues... But I suppose I should keep them out just in case...
Was it adult?
I've tried twice in 6 ft tank. Not good results. But may be the large tank like yours would have a difference. If you sure you can catch him/her when you need in 14 ft tank, and you really like to have this fish, then try.
You may get different result then me, but definitely only solo fish, not pair.
If I only have the extra large tank, Festae would be my choice # 1. I miss them

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:37 am

Size matters.

Cichlids act comepletely different in a tank like this. 6' tanks are too small for most cichlids in my opinion. Here's a rough current stock list in the tank now. Getting on peacefully and have been for a while...

Amphilophus Citrinellum Midas 8-13" 8 1 Wild, 1 creamcicle
Amphilophus flaveolus Flaveolus 6-8" 7 F1
Amphilophus hogaboomorum 13" 1
Astatheros Robertsoni Blue Sand Sifter 5-7" 2
Astronotus ocellatus Oscar 6-13" 3
Belly crawler 1
Cichlasoma Portalagrensis Port Cichlid 4-5" 2
ctenopoma kingsleyae 6-8" 2
Ex-cichlasoma Bocourti Golden Mojjara 6-10" 5
Flower horn Flower Horn ZZ Flowerhorn 10" 1
Hypostomus plecostomus Pleco 12-20" 3
Hypselecara Temporalis Chocolate Cichlid 8" 1 Female
hypsophrys nicaraguensis Nics 6-8" 12
Intermedious Intermedious sp. 10" 1 Male
leiarius Marmotus 12" 1
osphronemus Goramy Giant goramy 8" 1 Little Bert
Parachromis Managuensis Aztec Gold Jaguar 4-6" 9
Parachromis Salvani 6" 1
Paraneetroplus Argenteus Argentina Cichlid 4-7" 3
Paratheraps Bifasciatus Bifas 7-11" 10 2 are Rio chacamax
Paratheraps Fenestratus 6-8" 4 2M/2F
Parrot Parrot Parrot 7" 1
Rhamdia guatemalensis 11" 1
Rocio Octofasciatus Jack Dempsey 8-10" 5
Semincita Pike 10" 1
Silver dollar 4" 2
Snomac Snomac Snomac 11" 1 Hybrid
Tilapia buttikoferi 8-10" 2
Tilapia Mamfe 8-10" 2
Vieja Synspilum Quetzel 4-10" 7

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:32 am

WOW/
Do you have any video or something to see? Must be unforgettable sight..

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:39 pm

I have not shot video for a while... Haven't had time... I'll look for a pic or two.

Here's an album in photobucket:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/ ... %20gallon/

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:17 am

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:51 am

Your welcome, it seems that I've got a good start to a stock list.

5-Astronotus ocellatus (One breeding pair of red tigers, two sub adult lutino and a sub adult red tiger)
4-Caquetaia spectabilis (Picking up three more from a fellow club member at next weekends O.C.A. Extravaganza)
6-Cichlasoma portalegrense (Two breeding pairs, one of which has fry now)
1-Crenicichla semicincta (Wild caught and will double as population control :wink: )
5-Hoplarchus psittacus (These will eventually be the main focus of the tank, currently about 5-6")
3-Hypselecara temporalis (Two of which are a breeding pair that I'll be picking up at the Extravaganza, the fifth wheel is a female.)
10-Geophagus Altifrons (Also being picked up at the O.C.A. Extravaganza from a fellow club member.)

Still wanted and haven't found yet:

Uaru amphiacanthoides... I am on the hunt, so guard your tanks well!

Once I find the Uaru I will be content with the stock list. Ideally I'd like to find either a pair or six sub adults.

I have sold off a lot of the current stock but the tank's still not ready yet. The altifrons are advertised as 3-4 inches, if they are indeed that size they will go in the mix right away, if not they will be in a 125 for a while.

Almost forgot, there's a male and female fully mature (I'd hope so after 13 years) pair of silver dollars that will stay in the tank.

Once all the current fish have found new homes either in my tanks or yours I will introduce all of the SA cichlids on the same day. The tank is in shambles at the moment and will be completely gutted of all decor this coming friday morning. I'll be taking quite a few fish with me to the Extavaganza that have been pre sold and a handful to try and sell on site. If the stars align the tank will be put together and stocked with SA cichlids from the list over the Thanks Giving Weekend.

And yes, I will gladly post pictures and possibly a video... :)

MonteSS

Post by MonteSS » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:22 am

Any of the Australoheros going in there?

....Bill

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 am

with fish from the Amazon river? No

Australoheros are much more southern - the ones living in the northern extreme migh need a winter of 18 C (~60 F)- the rest will need a colder winter

Amazon fishes could - at least some of them - withstand 24 C - but the rest will need much more, over 27 C (=80F)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 am

TheFishGuy wrote:Almost forgot, there's a male and female fully mature (I'd hope so after 13 years) pair of silver dollars that will stay in the tank.
Is these are 4" SD you mention earlier in your post? May be you should add at least 3 more. It is a beautiful sight when large SD schooling together, shining in every turn through the large tank.
I have 3 + years 5 SD in my 6FT tank. They range between 5" and 7.5" TL. Great addition to the big tank with large fishes IMO.
And try to give them Romaine lettuce, funny how they use their mouth.. like a seizers going through the greens:)
Alex

Don Hiatt
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Don Hiatt » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Keep in mind the species found West of the Andes live in harder water than Amazonian types.
Overall, you list is compiled of species that can get by in neutral to slightly alkaline conditions (eg: 'Geophagus' steindachneri and Andiocara), but you should keep in mind that Hypselecara and Uaru are found in softer conditions.

BTW, I appreciate your taste in fish. Good luck, in finding a workable arrangement.

Don

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:57 am

I may have founf Uaru!!!

I still need to get the rest of the fish out of the tank that i need to get out. I added the spectabals yesterday, and the person who had the chocolates never showed up... :?

The Altifrons are going to have to do a little growing but I got a dozen of them! They're awesome!

I also have the feeling there's going to be a couple of foriegn exchange students in the tank... Like a pair of argentea, a pair of bocourti and a pair of jack dempseys... But we'll see how things progress in the fish room as far as getting some more larger tanks built... I'm having trouble letting go of a few species...

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:17 pm

Ok, here's the situation. I brought in 6 more tanks from storage. A 30 long, 2-29's and 3-20H's. I'll be moving out all of the unwanted fish that currenty reside in the big tank this Sunday. I also pulled out a box of sponge filters too. I can't just start taking fish out of the tank a ploping them into other tanks. I need to move a lot of fish around in the fish room in order to make this happen and it's going to be an all day project. I'll consider myself lucky if I start catching fish out of the big tank by 12:00. There's about 8 tanks full of water but nothing else, no sponges, no fish, no heaters... The plan is to pull seasoned sponges out of tanks already set up then put new sponges in established tanks. It doesn't help that I brought home a bunch of fish from this past OCA Extravaganza. I got two of the species I was after, the geophagus altifrons, and the caquetaia spectabilis. the guy with the breeding chocolates was a no show. I had cash for him too... And Uaru are still on the wanted list... The altifrons will need to do some growing me thinks, so they will be going into a 125 for a few months and being fed every time my wife walks by, along with massive often water changes... I will update a few times during the day Sunday to keep you all posted. :)

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:13 am

I figured I'd kind of approach today as a "blog" to force myself to stop and take a break every once and a while to post. I think it will keep me sane... So I guess this would be my first entry...

I got up at 7:00 am, ate breakfast and took a few pics and shot some video. I'm not going to take the time to upload the vids today though...

Here's a quick diagram of my basement for those of you who haven't been here.
The rectangles in RED are banks of tanks.
My basement is only 27'x27'.
The area in the middle is the TV room or family room if you will.

Here's a shot of all the decor that was removed from the 1200 gallon.
To the right is my wifes 240 with 13 mpimbwe frontosa.
To the left is the 185 with the psittacum and port cichlids and a pair of white oscars.

This is a shot of what you'd see when walking right into the fish room.
On top starting from the left is a 30 long, 2-29's and three 20H.
Underneath is a 125.

This is the view looking down the fish room. I'm leaning against the back of the 185 in this shot.
To the left is my chart where I attempt to keep track of water changes in the now 47 tanks set up.
Each tank is assigned a letter or a number. It's size is listed, then the date of when it's last water change is listed and marked with an "X".
Furthur down the line on top of the rack is ten 10 gallon tanks, hospital or fry tanks.
Under them are four 70 gallon tanks. They're typically for breeding pairs.
At the end of the fish room are seven 10 gallon tanks that were set up last nite.

In this picture to the right are 12 tanks. 5-20H, 1-20L, 4-29's, 1-50B and a custom 40 breeder. To the right of them is my car/girlie calender I use when performing water changes.

Going to start moving some fish around in the fishroom to free up a few more tanks. Be back in a few.

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 am

Blog entry #2. 10:55 am.

So far so good, moved a lot of fish around:

The first tank listed is what the fish came out of, the 2nd tank listed was their destination.

Male Blond HRP 20H-10
Pink con fry 20H-10
9 Amphilophus Chancho fry 20H-10
11 Ameca Spendens 29-10
70 oscar fry 50Br.-29
5" Grammodes 29-10 (not happy and if there's room when this day is over he'll get moved)
12 Geo Altifrons, 6 Rainbow cichlids, 8 F1 Robertsoni 10's-125 in living room.
6" Male Hatiensis 70-10 (not happy and if there's room when this day is over he'll get moved)
Male marble con 185-10
Female grey con w/pink gene 185-10
4" Port cichlid 70-1200
5 3/4" Port cichlid 185-1200
4 3/4" Port cichlid 185-1200
5 1/2" Port cichlid 185-1200
4 1/2" Port cichlid 185-1200
7" Hoplarchus psittacum 185-1200
6 1/2" Hoplarchus psittacum 185-1200
6 1/4" Hoplarchus psittacum 185-1200
6 1/4" Hoplarchus psittacum 185-1200
6 7/8" Hoplarchus psittacum 185-1200
8 1/2" Albino Oscar 185-1200
9 1/2" Albino Oscar 185-1200

Everything that is destined to go into the 1200 is in a storage bin with an air stone. I did not want to risk putting them in the tank even for a few hours. There's some a-holes in there that need to come out first. Besides, they're stressed enough at the moment, they don't need to get more stressed by me catching all the other fish in the tank...

In the process I found two more glow in the dark plastic plants for my sons tank. His tank is a 29 heavily planted with 5 Astroloheros Red Ceibal. Their room is perfect because it's the coldest in the house so the cold water chichlids get their opportunity at the cool down period.

Here's the 125 grow out tank with the Altifrons, F1 Robertsoni and the rainbow cichlids in it. It's not decorated yet but it will be very simple. Pool filter sand, some rocks to hide the giant sponge filters and a few tall plastic plants.

Next step is to move out the fish in the 1200 to their respective tanks. There's a couple 70's, the 185, 50 breeder a handfull of 29's and a gaggle of 20Hs ready for them, decorated with all the pipes from the 1200. This should be fun...

Return to “South American Cichlids”