Prob not a Geo Red Head Tapajos...what though?

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

kaivalagi

Prob not a Geo Red Head Tapajos...what though?

Post by kaivalagi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:57 am

Hi All,

I have a question regarding one of my geos. I thought after some growth I'd post comparison pics between equally sized tapajos and the "might be" tapajos fish. The 2 fish compared were bought at the same time from the same LFS tank, at the start of May this year.

These first 2 pics are the suspected non tapajos geo':

An these 2 pics are of definite tapajos variety of geo I have (closest matching size to the above)

Could it be that the first fish pictured is infected? I find it hard to believe though as the fish has too many differences e.g. more red colouration of fins, lack of full fin patterning, pelvic fin has no whitening, eye colour differs too. It is the slowest growing of the group and doesn't mix with them all that well...but seems healthy and eats as well as the rest which is greedily

If not a tapajos then what do you think the first pictured geo is?

Your advice and comments would be very gratefully received

Cheers

Bas Pels

Re: Prob not a Geo Red Head Tapajos...what though?

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:48 am

It's another species

in nature, all Geophagus species in a certain area mix - and where the Rio Tapajos enters the Amazon, one can find 4 recognized species, perhaps together with new ones - G altifrons, G sp cf altifrons, G proximus and the G orange head

After collecting them, the fishers will have to sort them out, and people make mistakes, especially with youngh fishes

I the fish is not wild-caught, a breeder made a similar error

As the fish is still young, I will not try to name it

kaivalagi

Post by kaivalagi » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:00 am

Well, now I know my Geos are likely to be wild caught...

Thanks for the explanation and I can see why you wouldn't want to name it just yet.

I presume as it is slower growing than the others, which are red/orange heads, it would narrow it down some though? Do smaller adult fish seemingly grow "smaller" as a rule? Or could this equally be something bigger than a Tapajos when adult?

From the greener and more uniformly coloured body I'd be tempted to suggest it's a "surinamensis" but then they get quite large as adults so it sort of contradicts things in my mind...due to it growing slower than the tapajos it's with...another suggestion was that "surinamensis" was actually a made up wholesaler name that has no relevance, and that it looks like an "Abalios"

Time will tell I guess :)

Thanks for your input

kaivalagi

Post by kaivalagi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:25 am

Geophagus Winemilleri maybe, see this:

Marcus

Post by Marcus » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Definitely not winemilleri.
$200 is a lot of money for such a plain brown fish. It must be really rare. I'll take 4!!

kaivalagi

Post by kaivalagi » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 am

I think the closest match currently is dicrozoster, there is a faint cheek mark but until the bars become more evident I won't know as I can't make out a Y towards the tail yet...

fishboy20

Post by fishboy20 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:59 pm

I do not believe it is G. dicrozoster. It does look more like G. sp. "Tapajos II" but a location of where they were collected from would help figure things out.

Jeremy

kaivalagi

Post by kaivalagi » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:18 am

Well, very distinctive cheek marks have arrived as well as a dark spot underneath the head, and I think I can just make out a faint Y shape towards the tail but it's early days for that I guess...

Any other geo's with the cheek marks that could fit the profile or is it most likely a Dicrozoster?

Thanks for all the helpful pointers!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:40 pm

kaivalagi wrote:Well, very distinctive cheek marks have arrived as well as a dark spot underneath the head,
I think, for future references, it might be worhthwhile to estimate its length. After all, to me this is the first time I read about cheek marks appearing - so we should rememeber under a certain size cheek marks CAN be a thing for the future

Obviously, a photo series re its development would help evwen more ,regardless what species it will turn out to be

please?

peathenster

Post by peathenster » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:02 pm

kaivalagi wrote: Any other geo's with the cheek marks that could fit the profile or is it most likely a Dicrozoster?
G. dicrozoster, G. winemilleri, G. brachybranchus, and G. proximus

a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:06 am

Bas Pels wrote: ...............
After all, to me this is the first time I read about cheek marks appearing - so we should rememeber under a certain size cheek marks CAN be a thing for the future

Morning all,

The appearance of the opercule mark as the fish developed was also my experience with G. dicrozoster:

At ~40mm SL, no opercule mark but the Y shape on bands 4/5 visible

Same fish at ~80mm SL, opecule mark now visible

Andrew

katmandu

Post by katmandu » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:10 am

loks like a dicrozister to me.also tail pattern is typical for dicro as well.mine didn't show black stripe till they reached 4 inch.

anyway

good looking fish

regards

tom
Geophaginae & co

Return to “South American Cichlids”