"Heros" ornatus

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

coelacanth
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: "Heros" ornatus

Post by coelacanth » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:48 am

Just seen on Oliver's blog that he again has some fish that can best be described as cf. ornatus, look to be good-sized healthy fish.

Pete

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 am

As far as I know Mel has not bred them. I'll be at Mel's house Thursday for the first Seattle Cichlid Club meeting, and will definitely take lots of photos. My photography has improved greatly.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 am

Good to know Modest Man. We look forward to updated photos.

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 am

Very skittish fish. Best I can do. I have a couple more I'll edit tomorrow and post up.

blackghost

Post by blackghost » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Definitely looks like Hole-in-the-Head from that pic. The stress wont be helping. He's going to lose them unless he cures it.
Mark Wright

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:57 am

they also need some dither fish to calm them and make them feel better...

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:52 am

Nice photo! Hopefully, the hole-in-the-head can be stopped soon, and spawning commense sometime this year.

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Ha. I love how people who've never owned this fish come on and try to say Mel is raising them wrong. He's grown them up from 1" fish over the last year and a half...he's got to be doing something right.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 am

Dear Modest Man

The fish does look stunning, and as you point out, something most go right. However, the head does have a few holes - which indicate hole in the head. Still I can't say the fish is sick - it looks to good to be really in trouble

Perhaps the holes are old - after beiing cured of hole in the head, the holes don't heal. But if the holes are active, the fish should be treated

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:28 pm

I believe the pitting is old. The fish came in with lymph, and I know Mel battled that for over 6 months which definitely puts stress on the fish. The two ornatum that don't have a tank just to themselves (they're housed with several juvenile cichlids in the 2-3" range) are the two that are not doing very well, which kind of counters the dither fish theory.

Norcal_Cichlid

Post by Norcal_Cichlid » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:36 pm

How big are they? IME HITH will heal up if properly treated. These are the "it" fish right now. Supposed to be a lot coming in from Conkel but they've been promised to just about everyone... :lol:
Current stock-2 F1 Breeding pairs of Chuco Micropthalmus, F1 Theraps Lentiginosum (2 breeding pairs), Theraps Coeruleus (1 breeding pair), 7 5-8" F0 Ornatum "Rio Choco", 2 Beani "White" and about 400 Micropthalmus fry!

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 pm

Probably 7"TL?

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi Modest Man

Is there anyway to find out if Mel kept his ornatus in hard or soft water? If he kept/keeps them in hard water, I wonder if that was a key factor in them developing hole in the head, since ornatus comes from soft water.

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 pm

I think he just uses Seattle tap water.

Calcium: 17.0 ppm
Sulfate: 2.0 ppm
Magnesium: 1.0 ppm
Chloride: 4.0 ppm
Sodium: 4.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 18.0 ppm
PH: 7.8

So it could be slightly high. Fishbase has a minimum of pH 7 listed for ornatum.

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Any updates from Mel?

FYI to all interested - Jeff Rapps of Tangled Up In Cichlids is supposedly getting in this species tomorrow, both small and large individuals.

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:51 am

Last I know they are in a community tank and doing much better than when kept solo. He has 4 left. I haven't heard of any spawning. The ones Jeff has in look GREAT!

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Is this the same fellow who has posted a few You Tube videos of them over time? They really do look nice in one of the videos where they are being maintained in a large aquarium with a couple of exCich. festae.

Modest_Man

Post by Modest_Man » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:18 am

One and the same.

bigguapote

Post by bigguapote » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've visited or contributed at this site. I feel like I'm returning to church. I hope the congregation accepts me :wink:

It's true that 'C.' or 'H.' ornatus has been very recently imported into the US after many, many years of absence.
It's also true that collection of this species, as well as other species native to the Western states of Colombia, have been missing from our tanks due to guerillas patrolling in jungles such as those found in the state of Choco.

For 20 years, I've asked my contacts to secure individuals of several cichlid species known to occur on the Pacific slopes of Colombia. It's always been the same reply. The areas are not safe. It's not worth a fisherman risking his life to collect these fish.
In the past year, some of the 'dream cichlid species' have finally been collected. Hopefully they will be here to stay in the hobby again.

For example, specific collection of wild C. umbriferus for import into the US was only finally realized about one year ago.
Most recently, successful collection of 'C.' ornatus (Rio San Juan), 'C.' atromaculatus (Rio Atrato), and Geo. pellegrini (found in both aforementioned rivers) have become a reality.

I'd like to share a few photos I have taken of the ornatus since their arrival just last week.

The juveniles are quite unique and attractive for small, cryptically colored/patterned cichlids. If they had fur or big floppy ears, one may even call them cute.

blackghost

Post by blackghost » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:41 pm

I cant presume to speak for the forum, but for myself you are always welcome Jeff. I assume everyone else feels the same. :D

Thanks for the pictures - even bigger fish than are shown on your site - 9" ornatum - Wow.

Sadly your ornatum will be long gone, presumably spread around the States, long before I can afford them (unless you would care to run a 'first post after the pictures' competition to win some... :lol: )

Are you keeping some back to breed from them...I hope so. They are no. 1 on my wish-list.
We've all probably seen what few pictures of these fish are available on the net - some with blue spots and some without. I had wondered if these were locality variations, or breeding colours. What is your opinion on the colour variation? Your Rio San Juan fish seem to lose the blue spots as they get larger?

Did you get atromacs aswell?

Mark
Mark Wright

Return to “South American Cichlids”