Heros species differences

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Heros species differences

Post by Piotr Koba » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:08 pm

Hey all
Friend of mine asks what are the main differences between H. efasciatus, H.notatus and H. severus[/i. Obviously, we're talking about semi-adult fish, not youngsters which are undistinguishable, I think.

Thanks in advance

P.S. If similar topic occourde here on the forum, please give me a link, cos I can't find something like that.
Cheers
Piotr

Alex Odesit

Re: Heros species differences

Post by Alex Odesit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:43 pm

I'll post here adult pictures of 3 y old Heros Efasciatus.
You can see difference between male and female. Nice if any one can post pictures H.Notatus or Severus. It's the best way to see the difference, much better then verbal explanations.
Attachments
10 inch Heros Efasciatus male2.jpg
10" male
10 inch Heros Efasciatus male.jpg
another male picture
10 inch Heros Efasciatus female.jpg
10" Female
Last edited by Alex Odesit on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:30 am

Here we have Heros severus then, currently the only described mouth-brooder of the Heros genus:

Male:

Female:

For sexing, look at the spotting on the gill plate, males have plenty, females have none/little.

Body shape is different when compared with H. efasciatus, this is not as bulky and face is a bit more pointed. T'other differential, the visible black bar just before the caudal peduncle, with H. severus the black colour doesn't leach into the anal fin, with H. efasciatus it does.

Andrew

Roland

Post by Roland » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:40 am

Sorry, but what is the pink one in second picture ?
And i thought it was only notatus, that have spots (males).
Roland

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:19 am

Roland wrote:Sorry, but what is the pink one in second picture ?
And i thought it was only notatus, that have spots (males).
Roland
Pinkish color is from the camera flash. It is the same fish as above, first picture (where the color seems to be most to the real live), same male.
As for difference between spots on Notatus and Efasciatus, you just need to search net, or wait when some one post picture here in this topic. It is better then any words.
Alex

Roland

Post by Roland » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:51 am

No, the fish in the back of the picture.
I have 3 different pairs of efasciatus, one is Rotkeil, one have a blue face and the last are from Rio Magdalena. And none of these have spots. Two first are about 8-10 ". But i have seen notatus, very beatyfull spots on males. I too have the severus. Like these Heros very much. The one with the blue face, was bought as notatus, small yougsters. But now i am sure it`s a efasciatus.
Roland

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:46 am

Roland wrote:No, the fish in the back of the picture.
Fish in the back is the female Cuban cichlid (Nandopsis Tetracanthus).
She is evil.

Roland

Post by Roland » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:31 am

Oh, thanks.

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks (late) for the reply, Andrew :D
Cheers
Piotr

L1zakZiz

Post by L1zakZiz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Hey thx for all the replays. Im the friend of peterK. I just want buy a pair of Heros. I got a 300L tank with 8 Guianacara Geayi and i would like add a beautiful Heros pair. I see its a lot of differences in one specie. The colors are so various.

I can buy fishes from 5cm to 20cm length. Its Heros severus and Heros efasciatus. And now i got the problem to choose one specie. They cost alot and i dont realy want a brown Heros.

Its true that they are living in Fr.Guyana ? I saw on fishbase.org that severus and efasciatus are living there but im not sure.

Thx

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:58 pm

L1zakZiz wrote:Hey thx for all the replays. Im the friend of peterK. I just want buy a pair of Heros. I got a 300L tank with 8 Guianacara Geayi and i would like add a beautiful Heros pair. I see its a lot of differences in one specie. The colors are so various.

I can buy fishes from 5cm to 20cm length. Its Heros severus and Heros efasciatus. And now i got the problem to choose one specie. They cost alot and i dont realy want a brown Heros.

Its true that they are living in Fr.Guyana ? I saw on fishbase.org that severus and efasciatus are living there but im not sure.

Thx
I don't like to discourage you, but 300l tank is going to be too small for 8 Guianacara and pair of any Heros you'll planning to get. Adult Heros species easy surpass 20 cm mark in couple of years and good conditions. My fish up top in this thread are over 25 cm and in 2m tank (830) liters of water.
To answer your question about Fr.Guyana Heros. Yes they are exist and they are most of the times have brown base colour:)
Alex

L1zakZiz

Post by L1zakZiz » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:09 am

i will add next year a bigger tank (200x70x70). I will buy fisches witch are not bigger then 8cm so they will grow up in my 300l tank then move to the new. Its only a half year home and i know that tank is to small for adult fisches.

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:53 am

L1zakZiz wrote:i will add next year a bigger tank (200x70x70). I will buy fisches witch are not bigger then 8cm so they will grow up in my 300l tank then move to the new. Its only a half year home and i know that tank is to small for adult fisches.
In this case you good to go.

peathenster

Post by peathenster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Thought I'd share a few pics of my H. notatus (young adults). Sorry about the bad pictures - I acquired them two weeks ago and they are still in a quarantine tank.

Female on the left and male on the right. They are the dominant pair of the group. After some symbolic lip locking they happily paired up and claimed half of the 55g quarantine tank.

PS - just realized this is my first post :)

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Welcome to the CRC!
Very nice H.Notatus. Where you located and where did you get them from?
Actually I like to edit my post:
Are you sure it's a pair? It looks 2 male to me...

peathenster

Post by peathenster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Alex Odesit wrote:Welcome to the CRC!
Thanks....I'm in Georgia, US, and got them from Wetspotcx, who imported them from Guyana. Excellent vendor I should say.

I'm quite sure they are a pair (I have two males and three females in the group). I think the major differences are 1. spotting above the mid lateral line and 2. markings between the eyes (for both traits, yes = male; no = female). The males are also more colorful (e.g. brighter yellow throat), but the worming on the cheeks isn't a very reliable tell....

I could be totally wrong though...

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:10 pm

peathenster wrote:
Alex Odesit wrote:Welcome to the CRC!
Thanks....I'm in Georgia, US, and got them from Wetspotcx, who imported them from Guyana. Excellent vendor I should say.

I'm quite sure they are a pair (I have two males and three females in the group). I think the major differences are 1. spotting above the mid lateral line and 2. markings between the eyes (for both traits, yes = male; no = female). The males are also more colorful (e.g. brighter yellow throat), but the worming on the cheeks isn't a very reliable tell....

I could be totally wrong though...
I agree, Wetspotcx very nice place to get the fish, he is from Oregon I believe. I use to get some fish from this guy, never let me down and price is right.
As for the sexing Heros, base on my experience the red lines "worming" on the cheeks is in fact the most reliable sign to distinguish the gender. Lock of color in male can be due to the sub dominate position.
Numerous of the time I have had fish were same gender try to play the couple, and even try to breed. Many Heros, Rocio, etc...

peathenster

Post by peathenster » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Alex Odesit wrote: As for the sexing Heros, base on my experience the red lines "worming" on the cheeks is in fact the most reliable sign to distinguish the gender. Lock of color in male can be due to the sub dominate position.
Numerous of the time I have had fish were same gender try to play the couple, and even try to breed. Many Heros, Rocio, etc...
I didn't expect to get into an argument with my first post ;)

For H. efaciatus and H. rotkiel, you are absolutely right. However, I'm not sure if it would apply to all Heros species. For example, as A.D.Wood pointed out above, such a trait doesn't even exist in H. severus, for which sexing is based on the number of dots of the gill plate. It's quantitative rather than qualitative. I also found that the red spots on the body of H. severus extend up to the mid lateral line in males, but are limited to the lower abdomen in females. Please see below for pics of my breeding pair.

H. notatus is new to me, so like I said I could be wrong. The "female" has since dropped her tube...which looks like a female tube...but I guess we will know definitely when (IF) they breed :)

male:

female:

Playing:

Alex Odesit

Post by Alex Odesit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 pm

Yes, you right about H. Severus. Male does have dots opposite to red "worming" on H.Efasciatus cheeks. I see that H.Severus female have very limited amount of red dots as well.

peathenster

Post by peathenster » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:27 pm

I think I was right :)

I took out the lone female last night, leaving the two pairs in the tank. Did a water change this afternoon and both pair are spawning....I'm watching them in action now :D

Return to “South American Cichlids”