Heros sp Atabapo

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

timber

Heros sp Atabapo

Post by timber » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:45 am

Hi,
My pair of Heros sp. Atabapo spawned yesterday and I was wondering if anyone here knows how long it will take for the fry to hatch and become free swimming?

thanks!

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Heros sp Atabapo

Post by Dan Woodland » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:17 am

That depends on water temperature, 7 - 14 days. The warmer the water, the faster they develop.

timber

Post by timber » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanks Dan,
When do they pick up the eggs and incubate them? This is coming up on day 3 and the eggs are still on the driftwood. They are fending off a pair of Guinancara who also are entering spawning mode. Needless to say, there is a lot of action in this tank right now.

a.d.wood

Post by a.d.wood » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 am

Hi there,

My own experience is with Heros severus but if this is an H. severus variant it should be the same:

Eggs laid on bogwood

After ~48 hours eggs lifted off the bog wood by the female and mouth brooding begins (I never did see if she helps rupture the egg to release the wriggler).

For the next 7 days or so the pair alternate (in what seems 24 hour stints) which one carries the wrigglers.

Fry released for the first time but will be gathered up by either parent at the first sign of danger

From first release the parents continueto mouth-brood for a further 10 days or so after which the parents reject any attempt by the juvies to get back in the 'safe home' again.

My male gathering up the fry:

Andrew

AmericanGirl

Post by AmericanGirl » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:44 am

Great shot A.D. Timber do you have any pictures of yours?
Christie

timber

Post by timber » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:21 am

Thanks Andrew!

Awesome pic BTW.

Like clockwork, the female picked up the eggs pretty much 48 hours after spawning. The tough thing is that the Guinancara have just spawned as well and they are facing off quite a bit. To make matters more interesting, they share the tank with a pair of Acaricthys heckeli that are actually the bulls of the tank. (when nobody is breeding) Like I said, lots of action!

Americangirl,
I'll post some pics soon.

Wha't the difference between sp Atabapo and severus? All the pics I see of each species look pretty much the same. And for those who are keeping score, mine came from Rapps

Oscar52

Post by Oscar52 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Mine are now on there third spawn and are generally following the pattern as described by Andrew.

I have been trying to move them to another tank but every weekend i have free they spawn or have free swimming fry !

timber

Post by timber » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:23 am

Oh well... I threw some food in the tank for the other fish today. the male was brooding, and after about thirty seconds of restraint, he dove into the pile of pellets and I think he swallowed all the eggs. Has anyone encountered this? Should I have held off on feeding, or is this something that I should chalk up as inexperience in the male? I've worked with all sorts of mouth brooders (Malawi/ Tangs, some Geos, even mouthbrooding bettas!) and I've never witnessed a fish give up so easily on aborting a mouthful of eggs. Especially after just a couple of days of not feeding.

On another note, I just picked up 5 adult wild caught Rotkeils! Yeah, I know... they're old hat, but I'm excited. I've been working with Geos for a while, and I think its time to work with something that is not "silver"!

Oscar52

Post by Oscar52 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:34 pm

keep trying my pair take it in turns feeding the one without the fry and be seen rushing to the food while the brooding fish gently chews the food but still eats. Give them time they will come good for you.

cartersvillealex

Post by cartersvillealex » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:54 am

I have a pair that has been spawning off and on for over a year. The male almost always gets greedy and swallows all of the fry. I have raised some to adulthood by "stripping" them, not unlike some people do with Africans. It works, but he sure isnt happy about it :D

christoph

Post by christoph » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:33 am

How can we see the difference between severum and sp. Atabapo, anyone ?

Return to “South American Cichlids”