Didn't know where to post this......

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Colton

Didn't know where to post this......

Post by Colton » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:04 pm

I just found out my Angel Fish are spawning right now they are still laying eggs it is a young pair
how long should the eggs be left with the parents before I should take the eggs in to a hatchery tank

also they spawned at the very top of a cone, to keep a flow on the eggs would I stand up the cone (as it is in the tank) in a 10 gallon and start a couple bubblers in the tank and fill water to just the top of where the eggs are attached?

this is only my 2nd Angel fish spawn and am trying to get some fry out of the spawn, these have been a fish I've wanted to successfully breed for some time now,

Thank You to anyone who can help!

Colton

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Didn't know where to post this......

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:49 pm

You have two choices, pull the fry or see if the parents will raise them. Option one is not easy because angelfish fry are very very small and option two is not likley as angelfish seem to have forgotten how to raise their young but since this is their first spawn it may be worth it as you will have more spawns in the future from these fish.

If you choose to pull the fry/cone place them in a container like a large tall pickle jar with a VERY slow or low air flow. Next use something like "liquid fry saver" once the fry hatch from the cone.

Colton

Post by Colton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:05 am

Thanks a bunch Dan,

where do you normally get the liquid fry saver?

Thanks,

Colton

Colton

Post by Colton » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:06 pm

ok I tried something with the stuff that I could use that night, I cut the top off of a 2 liter bottle and cut some holes in it and a few at the top
and what I did was put it in there upside down and stuck a airline tube in one of the holes I made and their is good flow and the air is going out the 2 top holes and only 2 of the many eggs have turned white in 16 hours and I picked off the 2 bad eggs and they are looking good and I weighted down the bottle so it wouldn't float, I will try to get some pictures of the setup and the eggs if possible, put the holes and airline behind the eggs on the other side of the cone and so the flow is circling the bottle and keeping light flow on eggs,

if this works, I have to figure out how the move the fry to another tank for safety either that or take the pair out of the tank and let the fry grow up in the 20H

if anyone else has suggestions it would be great to hear more!

I also have this powder food that I got from wet thumb aquatics could this maybe replace the liquid food? the stuff I have is like dust

Thanks All!

Colton

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Dan Woodland » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:18 pm

I don't think the powdered food can replace the liquid fry food.

A quick search on the web yeilds....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=liquid+fry+food

Good luck.

Return to “South American Cichlids”