Algae growth

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Hudson Ensz

Algae growth

Post by Hudson Ensz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:05 am

Can algae grow with no special lighting, no co2, and no added plant growth fertilizers. the lighting is basically natural but i can have hundred watt flourescent light on if it would help. i dont know much about lighting. Before i had my tank by a window and it had some algae growth but i moved all the five tanks to a new room, and its not by a window anymore i need to grow some algae soon or my oto's will die. anything that isnt expensive and i can get here would be great. thanks a lot, bye
Please visit my cichlid blog at passionate4pikes.wordpress.com
Tanks, 16gal, 8gal, 35gal, 200gal pond, T. candidi hospital tank 1 gal.
A. sp. abacaxi, A. agassizii, A. gibbiceps (2 strains), A. pertensis(?), A. pacisquamis, A. sp, A. hippolytae.

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Algae growth

Post by Mike Wise » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:35 am

How different! Most people complain about too much algae. Right now your higher (stemmed) aquatic plants are out competing your algae. Higher plants are more efficient at taking up nutrients and usings light. Add additional light. You should get more plant growth and possibly some algae. Until then, you can suppliment your Oto's diet by boiling (or microwave for 15 seconds) a slice of zuchini (or other squash). They will thrive on this.

Hudson Ensz

Post by Hudson Ensz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:50 am

That helps thanks :D i will deffinatel try that. 8)
A. sp. abacaxi, A. agassizii, A. gibbiceps (2 strains), A. pertensis(?), A. pacisquamis, A. sp, A. hippolytae.

Hudson Ensz

Post by Hudson Ensz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:12 pm

I think i now why i dont get much algae. because there is nothing for it to feed on, i clean my tanks now 50% per day water changes on all of my tanks, even the betta tank.

Dutch Dude

Post by Dutch Dude » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:59 am

Algea like high nitrate levels and becouse of the frequent large water changes your tank has a very low nitrate level. Algea also like oxygen rich water and lots of (blue in the) light spectrum. Hopefully this helps. Oto's also feed on algae wafers and spirulina. Except for that they scavenge the tank for remaining food particles and this is one of the reasons why oto's make such a good cleaning crew.

Return to “South American Cichlids”