New 75G SA Setup

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

fmueller

New 75G SA Setup

Post by fmueller » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:37 pm

So far I had only tanks with African cichlids on my site at http://www.fmueller.com, but I have finally found a suitable home for the South Americans I had so far kept in smaller tanks around the house. The stocking list includes:

6 Geophagus sp. "Pindare"
4 'Geophagus' sp. "Bahia Red"
8 Mikrogeophagus altispinosus - Bolivian Ram
2 Cleithracara maronii - Kehole Cichlid
2 Apistogramma cacatuoides "Double Red"
5 Apistogramma iniridae
3 Hypancistrus sp. (L333)
Breeding group of Ancistrus sp. - Bristle Nose Plecos
Breeding group of Xiphophorus montezumae - Montezuma Swordtail

For more photos and details visit: http://www.fmueller.com/home/aquaristic/75g-geophagus

Comments and suggestions appreciated!

Dutch Dude

Re: New 75G SA Setup

Post by Dutch Dude » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:27 am

Really a wonderful tank and a very interesting cichlid community!

You have a nice group of Bolivians and with such a group they display very nice interesting and funny behaviour. They do need lots of plants to hide and to feel secure. The Pindare is a beautiful smaller Geo and I realy like them. What is the size of the Pindare right now?

I discovered one big issue in your stock list,....."Geophagus" Bahia Red! They are not true Geophagus but belong to the Brasiliensis family. They are beautiful fish but can grow to a rather large size. Mine did grow to 11 inch and was still slowly growing in size at the time I sold them. I sold mine because aggression was a big issue. When I bought them at a size of abouth 4 inch they were friendly and get along well with my Bolivians. When they became around 7 inch they already displayed more territorial behaviour. When they reached 9 inch troubles began. Uprooting plants, tear leaves apart, pic at the ansistrus and Bolivians. Finally the big male showed some real aggression and hunted at every one! This was in a 90 gallon tank with lots of shelter wood and plants. Finely I decided to get ride of them and they are now in a larger tank with some CA cichlids. Bahia red are realy stunning fish but imo not suitable for a community tank. Best is to keep them as a pair in a tank of their own. Besides that I think the tank is to small for the Bahia

Lucky Nate

Post by Lucky Nate » Fri May 02, 2008 4:59 pm

Wow, awesome tank.

JuanD15

Post by JuanD15 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:33 pm

Love the Geophagus!! wonderful any breeding going on in the geos?? :D :D :D
"WE live on a world made of lies not in China"
By Juan Damelines

Pleco & Geos Fan!!!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat May 03, 2008 2:44 am

Strange I did not notice this before.

The tank does look wonderfull, but i'm afraid, it will not last this way.

firstly, the X montezumae need to be kept at arond 20 degrees C (I think that is under 70 F) while the pindare, Cleithacara and Apistgramma need warmer water - 23-27 C (75-80 F). The L333 likes it even hotter - over 30 C. Thus the temp requirements differ. Too warm water will 'burn'the montezumae out at too young an age, and the eventual females will only produce male offspring.
The other water requirements differ as well, X species come from Mexico, with quite hard (to very hard) water. The South Americans prefer soft(ish) water.

Secondly, the Bahia Red, when breeding, will terrorise everyone. The Apistogramma might be able to gfins shelter het Bahia Red can't enter, but the pindare and Cleithacara will have to suffer the full blown attacks - I'm afraid they might not survive these.

I'd like to advise you to take the X montzumae and the bahia red out

Return to “South American Cichlids”