teleocichla sp. Xingu III|dots

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Remon

teleocichla sp. Xingu III|dots

Post by Remon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:29 pm

Hiya,

I'm new to this forum (tip from a friend (hi Bas!)). I have several tanks up and running, one of them is home to 5 teleocichla sp. Xingu IV, since recently (1m and 4f).
Since experiences with this genus are very slim, I thought it might be good to share some experiences.

Some pictures from mine:

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: teleocichla sp. Xingu IV

Post by Florent » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:40 pm

They look like Teleocichla sp Xingu III with black dots on dorsal fin base.

Remon

Post by Remon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:31 pm

Hmmmmmm, III and Iv look quite similar yeah, but comparing pictures in Aqualog still points to IV, especially the male and red coloration in the dorsal fin of the females.

Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:49 pm

Interesting looking fish. I really like how it "sits" like a darter. :D 8)

Mike Wise
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mike Wise » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:46 am

Teleocichla are not really my area of interest, but I must say that the pictured fish seem too elongated/slender to be T. sp. Xingu IV. Xingu IV is much deeper bodied (almost "stumpy"). Were these fish sold as Xingu IV?

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:41 am

Sorry , very bad pictures.

I think this fish is Teleocichla sp. Xingu IV, he move just like Synchiropus

a better one, UWe Werner

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 am

To me, unexpericenced in anything Crenicichlinae, the latter pics seem to be of far larger fishes than those of Remon

could that explain the differences?

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:17 am

Bas Pels wrote:To me, unexpericenced in anything Crenicichlinae, the latter pics seem to be of far larger fishes than those of Remon

could that explain the differences?

it's an adult male, maybe 6 cm length, Remon's fishes are smaller but they didn't have the same body shape as Mike says and have black dot on dorsal fin base
see this picture

Remon

Post by Remon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:03 am

I will try to get some more closeup pictures, but they are quite shy.
The original importgroup came in mixed (Xingu IV and gephyragramma). According to the ones responsible for importing them, the group where my fish came out of were already seperated and contained only Xingu IV. They were even smaller than they are now, and badly colored at that moment so ID-ing was impossible.
They might grow a bit bigger which may change/enhance the coloration a bit more, we will see. My fish are around 4-5 cm each now.
Looking through Aqualog South American cichlids I, I would say xingu IV comes pretty close, but also sp. III 'dot'.

The last picture of Florent (Werner) looks like a sp. IV 'Gobio' male to me. I can't really place the first 2 pictures, but they don't really resemble mine.

The exact name might remain a debatable topic anyway (although very interesting) but since not many teleocichla's are imported not much comparison can be made except from some pictures. As long as mine are all of the same species (call it Xing IV of III) I'm quite happy anyway! :lol:

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:57 pm

Remon wrote:The last picture of Florent (Werner) looks like a sp. IV 'Gobio' male to me. I can't really place the first 2 pictures, but they don't really resemble mine.
My pictures are bad ones of my Teleocichla sp . IV male and the last one is Uwe Werner's picture of a male Teleocichla sp Xingu IV

Remon

Post by Remon » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:36 am

minor update:
still doing great, some occasional agression towards eachother but plenty of hiding spaces and large tank provide excellent cover. Still growing and eating well.

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:51 am

thank you! and please keep as informed!

Remon

Post by Remon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:48 am

It's been a while since anything happened here, so an update is in place. I still have all 5 my teleocichla's, who have grown a lot bigger since the last pictures here. They have been at somebody else's place for the last 8 months because I stayed abroad for internship purposes. Several nests were observed there, but none of the freeswimming larvae made it. One made it till about 2cm and then got eaten afterall. Agression among one another was still fairly high at the time, resulting in a tank mainly filled with rocks.

At the moment I've got all 5 back for about 1.5 week now and seperated them into two tanks. The biggest male and female who coupled up already are in one tank (88x50 bottom surface). The smaller male and female share another tank (80x35) with the remaining one, also a female but likely another species of Teleocichla.

I will find the time to post some pictures soon. Overall they are doing very well, although very shy and mostly hiding between the rocks and in pvc-tubes waiting for food to come drifting by.

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:47 pm

can't wait to see the photos... :D

Remon

Post by Remon » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:16 pm

best one of the first session (damn shy fish :shock:)

Female.

Remon

Post by Remon » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 am

This morning I found about 25-30 freeswimming young in one of the breeding tanks :D
They're about 5-6 mm and at the moment feeding from a mixture of several powder/dust/liquifry/artemia quick feeds, untill the fresh artemia are hatched. Dad is looking after the young, mother is somewhere in the background.

Dad:

Dad + young:

Sorry for the bad pictures; little light on that tank, dirty glass and a lot of reflection from other tanks around this one.

Marko Lenac

Post by Marko Lenac » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:46 am

great news! hope to see someday the same thing in my tank :(

Remon

Post by Remon » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:56 am

update, today:

Remon

Post by Remon » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 am

Hiya Guys!

I took some new pictures of all 5 of my teleocichla's, which causes me a headache again as I was browsing through Buntbarsche Amerikas III and Aqualogs SA Cichlids I.
Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

First tank

First animal:

Second animal:

Third animal:

Second tank

First animal:

Second animal:

Both books don't really give one clear identification, mostly because Aqualog deals with more species than Buntbarsches does. For example, the one on the front of Buntbarsches is described as sp. Xingu IV male. However, the exactly same fish (at least looks like it to me) if described as sp. IV "GOBIO" male by Aqualog. However Aqualog is older than Buntbarsches, so maybe they've put both species together as one, I don't know. However, the 3 animals in the first tank look rather different, so I doubt they are one species.
The animals in tank 2 are male and female and parents of the young I have swimming around now, although don't look like Xingu IV as described in Buntbarsches. The biggest one of the 2 (second animal) does look pretty much the same as the one posted by Florent (first 2 pictures of his).
I'm confused! AGAIN!

Young today:

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:28 pm

Remon wrote: However, the 3 animals in the first tank look rather different, so I doubt they are one species
Hi. Yes you are rigth you have more than one species.
First tank
First animal:
Image Image
this one is Teleocichla sp. "Xingu III" or sp "III" or sp "Dots" three names for one species !
Both books don't really give one clear identification, mostly because Aqualog deals with more species than Buntbarsches does. For example, the one on the front of Buntbarsches is described as sp. Xingu IV male. However, the exactly same fish (at least looks like it to me) if described as sp. IV "GOBIO" male by Aqualog. However Aqualog is older than Buntbarsches, so maybe they've put both species together as one, I don't know.
Third animal:
this one is a Teleocichla sp." Xingu IV or IV" or "Gobio", aslo three name for one species !
Second animal:
this one is a male but I can't tell the species. Dou you have a picture of the same fish younger ?
Second tank

First animal:

Second animal:

The animals in tank 2 are male and female and parents of the young I have swimming around now, although don't look like Xingu IV as described in Buntbarsches. The biggest one of the 2 (second animal) does look pretty much the same as the one posted by Florent (first 2 pictures of his).
I'm confused! AGAIN!

Young today:
Difficult to say the species. the first one look like Teleocichla sp xingu III = dots . Do you have another pictures showing the dorsal fin ?

Return to “South American Cichlids”