what is this fish?

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

timber

what is this fish?

Post by timber » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:23 am

cichlid[1].jpg
any ideas? The fish is a juvie, a little under an inch. They guy I got it from said the adults are about 2 inches and they came in as a Nannacara sp. from Peru.
Last edited by Juan Artigas on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link as attachment

Tom Williams

Re: what is this fish?

Post by Tom Williams » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:53 am

I think they are definately Laetecara with the species probably being flavilabris or thayeri :? :? :? .

Nice fish. Definately not Nannacara or Ivanacara.

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:11 pm

While it is definitely Laetacara, it is also definitely NOT flavilabris or thayeri. The color on the flanks suggests the curviceps from Peru, a frequent import. L. flavilabris gets quite large, and tends toward brown and grey colors. I have thayeri, and they've never shown the same colors as curviceps, dorsiger, or "Buckelkopf". Also, juvenile thayeri almost invariably show the angled band from the lateral spot to the base of the dorsal very dark when compared to other Laetacara. It doesn't look much like L. fulvipinnis either (the former "Orangeflossen").

Here's an inch and a half juvie L. thayeri (wild). Note the strong vertical barring on the body, as well. Even the pale ones showed this more strongly than any other Laetacara that I've seen.
Laetacara thayeri01.JPG
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

cichla
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by cichla » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Dear all,
I agree it is a Laetacara. Seems to be Laetacara 'Buckelkopf'
Greetings, IS

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:44 am

cichla wrote:Dear all,
I agree it is a Laetacara. Seems to be Laetacara 'Buckelkopf'
Greetings, IS
I agree, look like Laetacara "buckelkopf" which is also named "purple gold", "humphead" or sp. "Tapajos"

http://www.dwergcichlide.nl/Laetacara_s ... elkopf.htm

are you sure the fish came from Peru ?

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:41 pm

It's not Buckelkopf, as it lacks the lines behind the pectorals, as marked in this photo:
Buckelkopf spawn.JPG
I called the mystery fish curviceps from Peru before, but it would be more accurately called affinis curviceps from Peru, as the color patterns are distinctly different from the old curviceps lines from Brazil. However, it could simply be that the species has a large range within the Amazon basin.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

timber

Post by timber » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Thanks guys for your help. And although there seems to be conflicting remarks, this helps a lot.

Florent, Their origin of Peru is third hand info, so I'm taking that info with a grain of salt. Heck, they also said it was a Nannacara!

I've kept curviceps and thayeri before and these fish are definitely different. Not seen in the photo is a reddish cast in the back half of the body. Also the body spot is never prominent, even when the fish are sleeping or excited. Then again, they are still very young so who knows what they'll grow into. Does an adult size of 2 inches sound right to you guys? that seems awfully small...

Florent
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Florent » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:39 am

5 cm (2 inches) for females, 7 cm (less than 3 inches) for male

Ken Davis
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Ken Davis » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:11 am

I have gotten in small Laetacara in Peruvian shipments mixed in with Apistos that we could never properly identify, They stay very small, 2" or less and are not any of the discribed species from Peru. I showed one at the ACA convention several years ago and it won the dwarf cichlid class and Wayne Leible said he'd never seen one before either. I still have that fish, it's an adult male, I'll try take and post a picture. It's an ellusive fish so may take a while or I'll net it out and take one out of the water. Ken
An empty tank is a terrible thing to waste!

timber

Post by timber » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey Ken,
have you gotten a chance to photograph your fish yet? I'd love to see it.

Return to “South American Cichlids”