Differences in Geophagus

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Kunal Sharma

Differences in Geophagus

Post by Kunal Sharma » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Ok so my question here.To me personally some species of genus Geophagus,like Brasiliensis,Crassilabris,Pellegrini to mention a few,look different compared to other members Abalios,altifrons,surinamensis,dicrozoster,etc with the former mentioned species possessing a taller body profile,different mouth shape and nuchal hump on adult specimens.I am leaning to learn on what similar characteristics have been they assigned into the same genus'Geophagus'?Or is it there are chances of them being reclassified in the future?
In my humble opinion,they hold more resemblance to the genus Gymnogeophagus rather Geophagus

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Differences in Geophagus

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 pm

You are right that they are quite distinct from Geophagusin the strict sense. The 'G'. crassilabris group (crassilabris, pellegrini and steindachneri) is closely related (sister group) to them acording to recent phylogenetic studies, but may well deserve separate generic status based on morphological distinctness. There is indeed some resemblance to the mouthbrooding species of Gymnogeophagus in the development of sexual dimorphism, but these similarities are correlated with behavior and may have independently developed.

The 'Geophagus' brasiliensis group on the other hand is even more distantly related to Geophagus or Gymnogeophagus.It has been found to be closest to Mikrogeophagus. This may sound far-fetched at the first glance, but if we imagine a 20cm ramirezi there would be not much difference. Erection of a new genus for that group is just a matter of time.

Kunal Sharma

Re: Differences in Geophagus

Post by Kunal Sharma » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:19 pm

Thank you for the explanation Rico.Maybe just time will tell which genus are they moved into,or a whole new genus is established for them.

Return to “South American Cichlids”