Good Dither Fish for Heros serverus

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

DigityDog70

Good Dither Fish for Heros serverus

Post by DigityDog70 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi All,

I am new here and have been in the hobby for a while, a few decades and am currently have One Oscar Tank (with one 10" Tiger Oscar), A 55Gal. planted aquarium with Rummy heads, Cherry Barbs, Clown Plecos and Corycats, a Tetraodon Baileyi (Hairy Puffer tank with one 3" Hairy Puffer that eats more than my 10" Oscar???) ,two 5 gal. Hospital - Quarantine tanks and......

I have a 125Gal tank with small Heros that are all about 2" in a fish room in my house.
In the 125Gal I have...
3 - Uaru
4 - Red Shouldered (head)
2 - Gold
1 - Orange Spotted
5 - green Severum

15 fish currently, I 'll possibly lose one or two in the next few years, stuff just happens.

I don't have any plans for any other fish. What would be a good dither fish to ease the tension in the tank as these fish can get very aggressive in a species only tank?

I'm really not wed to any particular species. I'm thinking of maybe Sahyadria denisonii's A.K.A. Rose Line Sharks?

I appreciate any suggestions.

DigityDog70

Re: Good Dither Fish for Heros serverus

Post by DigityDog70 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:42 pm

So, after some research here, there and not exactly everywhere but a few hours of reading, I am still sticking with RoseLine Sharks. I ordered a group of 3 - 2¼" RS's . Once they've have been quarantined for a few weeks and I know they check out, I will place them in my Severum - Heros tank and baby-sit the tank for a few days to see how or if the dynamics of the tank change. Hopefully they distract the fish enough to knock down some of the annoying in-fighting for the Alpha spot that you see in so many Severum tanks. Truthfully I don't want to over stock my tank in order to reduce the aggression, I'd rather use dither fish and if Roseline Sharks are pretty slick swimmers. I was considering clown loaches since they're such faster swimmers, so they will be my second choice if the Roseline Sharks don't work out.

I'm going to remove my powerhead too and replace it with small pump that has a little exhaust tube since it seems like fast swimming dither fish often run into the powerheads. I went for the longest time (years without any issues) and then wham, I lost all of my clown loaches in a tank because they're were so fascinated with the power heads that they decided to see how it would be to swim into the blades. All three of them. They were mesmerized by the powerheads and it was the end of them. It happened so fast it was all done before I came home one day from work.

DigityDog70

Re: Good Dither Fish for Heros serverus

Post by DigityDog70 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:00 am

Hi All, I still have my dither fish in and they working well along with some SAE’s. I’m waiting for my 180gal to show up in Dec. For now I’m trying to figure out which plants will work, but it looks like I will unfortunately have to put my Uaru’s in a plant less tank. I’d be willing wager there aren’t any member here that have a planted Uaru tank? If so, what’s your secret to making it work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “South American Cichlids”