Bujurquina from Meta - Colombia ?

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

cronicola

Bujurquina from Meta - Colombia ?

Post by cronicola » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi, I would like to know if this little buddy it's a Bujurruina.
It was collected on 2012 on Puerto López - Meta department at Colombia in the Río Meta

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG-20170114-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20170114-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20170114-WA0019.jpg

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Re: Bujurquina from Meta - Colombia ?

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Doesn't look like Bujurquina. Species of this genus (the only known representative in Río Meta is B. mariae) have a longituninal band running to the posterior dorsal fin base or upper margin of caudal peduncle, but never towards the caudal spot. I would also rule out that it is Andinoacara cf. pulcher, which would have among other traits a very narrow, inconspicuous caudal spot situeted in the middle of the fin. Cichlasoma orinocense has a very short caudal peduncle and the midlateral spot in a more anterior position, in Aequidens metae the suborbital spot is prolonged to form a vertical stripe along the anterior margin of preopercle, a less prominent fin ornamentation and shorter pectoral fins. Therefore I think your fish are Aequidens tetramerus.The Río Meta representative of this widespread and variable species (or species complex) is - judging from photos of life specimens published in the popular literature - perhaps the most distinctive of the various forms united under that name and may well (i.e. more likely than other forms) represent an undescribed species.

Return to “South American Cichlids”