Hypsophrys nicaraguensis

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Finnfish

Hypsophrys nicaraguensis

Post by Finnfish » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:43 am

Hi,

I'm from finland so forgive me if my english may be difficult to read.

I have mating pair of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, male is 20cm (8 inch) and female is 15cm (6 inch). They have done fry 4 times this year, about 2 months between, every fry has been succesfull, best fry was litle over 140, 110 survived.

I'm concerned of pairs health (they look healthy, are active and fins and colors are good), what is "safe" time between fry?

TheFishGuy

Re: Hypsophrys nicaraguensis

Post by TheFishGuy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:39 pm

They will spawn when they are comfortable and able to.
They know their limits!
I wouldn't worry about it if you say they're looking good then let them have at it!
Mine spawned once per month!

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:20 pm

While I would share your concern relating to the amount of litters, it is hard to stop the fishes.

Your female is quite large, so I would assume she cannot get behind in growing anymore.

While I don't have any central American cichlids now, The last years I started fluctuating their temperatures a little. I had a tank - than filled with Yucatan fishes - which was not heated in January. I've been away for 3 weeks that Jan, before leaving I did a large waterchange, and had to unmplug the heater in order to do so safely. Replugigng was forgotten :oops:

After approximately a month @ 19 C, the fish did not look that happy, so I wanted to change water, starting with unplugign the heater. Then I saw what had happened, and I knew why the fish did not look very well. Obviously, I brought the temp back in a week, and hey presto, all fishes were breeding a month later.

The next year I gave them a winter of 22 C, for 3 months

Your fishes are from Nicaragua, a lot further to the south, but I think you can still bring their temperature a few degrees lower, say from 26 to 27 C to 24 C, saving you money, and keeping your fish from more reproducing.

Personally I am convinced giving a winter to fishes capeble to cope with a winter (which fish from the Amason area definitely are NOT) will make them last a lot longer

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:38 pm

So essentially if you want them to stop breeding cool the tank down.
Sometimes this works, sometimes not so much. Especially when dealing with a pair that is so large.
If you indeed want to stop them from breeding then the only real safe way is to separate them.

Finnfish

Post by Finnfish » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Thank you for answers.

I try to lower temperature after this fry has grown to "teenagers", this time i leave babys with adults in same tank. Read somewhere that it lowers pairs mating intrest,, earlyer i have moved them to another tank.

I cant separate them, dont have large enough for them, only option is 200 litres and that is too small. Two Bigger tanks are malawi so they had to live together so i hope that lowering temperature helps.

TheFishGuy

Post by TheFishGuy » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:09 am

When they want to spawn again they will "take care" of the fry if you know what I mean...

Return to “South American Cichlids”