S.Leucosticta Breeding Question.

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

carlt54

S.Leucosticta Breeding Question.

Post by carlt54 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:01 am

I have raised 5 S.leucosticta for a year now and I have 3 females and 2 males. Had 1 pairing which resulted in a spawn(after I removed the other fish out). Being realistic I figured the first batch would fail and it did. My question is that I have 2 other plump females, should I remove the one and replace with the other 2 to see if another pairing takes place? This is all in a 80gal,ph6.5, TDS-160 AND A TEMP OF 85 DEGREES.

Oceanica

Re: S.Leucosticta Breeding Question.

Post by Oceanica » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:48 am

I don't know if you're still trying to breed leucosticta. It's probably a bad idea to try to re-match pairs; in my experience Satanoperca pair-bond, and while the pairs are prone to a bit of bickering, they stay together and will breed a few times in a row if conditions are right. The right conditions are warm (28-30oC), clean water (big weekly water changes a must), aided by tannin / humic substances released from things like catappa leaves or peat. And, of course, healthy, well-fed fish. Mine bred in fairly hard water, somewhat alkaline water. I separate my pairs from their groups only after they are already mouth brooding. I do this with an acrylic aquarium separator so they stay in the same tank but the others are unable to come close enough to snack on the fry.

carlt54

Post by carlt54 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:35 am

Thanks for the reply. My set-up is as you said , warm water-83 degrees, I filter with peat, large w/c weekly. The only thing that has changed is that one female died. All are still in the same tank and the same pair are still spawning. BUT the eggs are still not hatching. After 24-30 hrs the eggs turn white. I'm thinking the pH my be to high. I can't seem to get to go below 6.5. BTW these fish were wild caught and where just under 3 inches when I received them, the largest male is just over 6 inches. If you have any suggestions on how to lower pH safely would be appreciated if that is the problem.
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar
Future Raffle King
Refreshment Guru

Oceanica

Post by Oceanica » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:32 am

So, did you manage to breed your S leucosticta in the end?

Return to “South American Cichlids”