Gymno labiatus and gymnogenys.

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

carlt54

Gymno labiatus and gymnogenys.

Post by carlt54 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:44 pm

I currently have 8 2" labiatus and 6 2" gymnogenys in separate tanks right now. Can they be housed together in a 100 gallon tank at adult size? I would like to keep a harem of each species (1 male to 3 or 4 females). Any advice would be appreciated.
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar
Future Raffle King
Refreshment Guru

Bas Pels

Re: Gymno labiatus and gymnogenys.

Post by Bas Pels » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:48 pm

Can you house them together - perhaps. The fishes will consider each other as conspecific.

That is, they will not pick each other out, but the normal dominance rules will apply. I have the feeling - from raising some 10 groups of Gymnogeophagus - that the gender is not fixated as it is with humans, but a fish might well develop into a male if it has not been harassed too much

Combining labiatus and gymnogenys might result in only 1 fish developing into a male -which is undesirable

Another thing could be - if in both groups a male is developing, the sum might be wrong: 1 +1 = 2, and 2 is a very undesirable number. On the other hand, this might help in case you have 2 males in both groups - combining them would result in 4 males in a tank, a sufficient number to expect them to all grow out

Seperating is easy: Labiatus has stripes in the fins, while gymnogenys has dots. This goes for both males and females

carlt54

Post by carlt54 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, I think with the info you gave me, I'll just house them in their own tank. 75 gallon each should suffice would it not?
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar
Future Raffle King
Refreshment Guru

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 am

75*4 = 300. Yes it will

rene.decquir

Post by rene.decquir » Sun May 03, 2015 1:40 pm

No heater for these guys

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Thu May 14, 2015 9:04 am

Agree about the no heater, I have kept G gymnogenys "Yerbalito" in an unheated basement in winter where water temps sometimes dip below 50'F (10'C) with no ill effects, and I actually think they seem look their best, and are healthier after coming out of the cool down.

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:55 am

Those typ of fish can deal with cold water

carlt54

Post by carlt54 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:57 pm

Right now I have both Labiatus Rio Olimar and Gymnogenys Yarbolito in seperate 75 gallon tanks with a temp of 74-75 degrees. The gymnogenys have spawned one but did not take. As I speak now they're at it again. These pics were taken 3 week ago the day after I received them by mail. The male shown here now has a more pronounced forehead.
Attachments
DSC00895.JPG
DSC00889.JPG
DSC00884.JPG
OCA Board Member
Bowl Show Czar
Future Raffle King
Refreshment Guru

duanestuermer

Post by duanestuermer » Thu May 14, 2015 4:55 pm

When my yerbalito spawned in an aquarium, I ended up removing all others of the group from the tank except the female and fry.
At first I found removing all others except the pair seemed sufficient, but the male of the pair became a bit of a badger, so he was then also removed.
Left alone with her fry, allowed for a fry survival of most of the spawn.
When spawning in the pond, the space (1000 gals) kept also allowed for high fry survival, evn with a group of half dozen, and because of the micro flora and fauna, a faster fry growth rate.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri May 15, 2015 1:38 am

@ breeding, I found that netting the carrying female into a nearby tank does not result in her loosing the fry.

The tank needs to be for her alone, and than one may assume a successful breeding. Still the fry does grow very slowly.

I have my Gymnogeophagus in an enclosed veranda, which has in winter 5 C water temeratures. That is, 5 C is what I measured each winter, the last 3 winters. 5 C is 41 F or something?

Gymno's, and Australoheros, from the south of Uruguay have no problems with this. Obviously, now it's warmer and the fishes are coloring up.

bennymoreno51

Post by bennymoreno51 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:47 am

Wow great photo of your fry

CactusVinnie

Post by CactusVinnie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:14 am

Hi, guys!

I am Fabian, 43, from Bucharest, Romania. Interested in exotic fish, reptiles, plants of subtropical/temperate origin. I also run a small, personal, donquijotesque project of captive breeding of our two Testudo native species. I am an ecologue but not working in that field.

Searching for the cold hardiest cichlids I ran, of course, into your great forum. Great infos here!

Yesterday, I got my very first southern cichlids: some very emaciated G. meridionalis from Glaser, 15 of them. One is deformed, missing the upper jaw, while some others seem to have deformed caudal and bent peduncles- probably only clamping and devitalised, but really ugly looking.
They all look horrible thin and concave, and I try to offer them tiny meals of chopped Tubifex every 3 hours. A normal-sized meal would be potentially fatal, especially Tubifex, but that if only they would be that active to devour it :( ...
Such fish are totally inappropriate to be listed for sale, it's a shame. Made pictures and spoke with the importer here about that...

There are 3 reasons for my fish to look like that:

1- Romanian customer-> well, "Balkan, 3-rd world people, choose the lowest-grade genetic garbage, give them the runts" etc... a Western customer would be treated with better care, I suppose...
2- a)- no matter the customer, fish were neglected and they emaciated in time.
2- b)-no matter the customer, fish weren't really neglected, but kept in the same facility as true tropical ones and degraded slowly due to higher than preferred temperature. I doubt that Glaser staff don't know that and/or don't have rooms for cooler than tropicalfish, but there's a probability.

QUESTION: what variant sounds more probable for you?
I really wish to be the neglect one, since I don't want that this group be the weakest selection of a whole batch acquired by them... I can treat/heal/take care of severely emaciated/ill fish, but I cannot do nothing to improve their poor, unfit genetics...

@Bas Pels, for how long can these fish take a permanent 5*C water? Sounds great if they can endure that for... 3 months, let's say. I lived with the impression that they totally dislike being under 10*C for more than a month, in the best cases.

Cheers!
Fabian in Bucharest, Romania

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:37 am

Firstly the temps

I don't heat the veranda, and the 5 C is for 4 months, approximately

The climate of the south of Uruguay can be seen here: https://www.wunderground.com/, search for Montevideo. It is true, 10 is the average temp for June, July, August - and therefore, it is better to keep them @ 10 C in winter, but mine did manage far less

with regards to your options, I do hope it is 2b. As far as I know, Glaser is a good, trustworthy company - but they don't have fascilities for subtropical fishes. If that is the case, their fry should be OK. My experience with Uruguay cichlids is they grow very, very slowly. 4 cm in October for fry of this summer is a dream - they don't manage that

CactusVinnie

Post by CactusVinnie » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:05 am

Thank you for your prompt answers!

I also had fish from them during the last years- some perfect, some with problems. Not a coincidence the fact that the worse batches were WC Macropodus ocellatus, also kept for months in their facilities. With such factors, no wonder the horrible losses, they are notorious sensible despite their hardiness once established. Generally I was also satisfied with their fish.
The Gymnos are about 5cm- I wonder what was their hatching date... considering you said about their slow growth rate.

I was a fanatic Wunderground. Weatherbase etc. visitor from about 20 years ago :) ... I was an avid hardy cacti grower and I am familiar with the general climatic data for the Americas.
The fact their hardiness can stretch quite more then their actual distribution would suggest is very hope giving. My fishroom can get colder than an average 10*C during winter; my Aphanius, Notropis chrosomus, Cheirodon galusdae, Macropodus ocellatus are ok with prolonged lower temperatures.

Very convenient to find that your veranda species can take the same. Is there a possibility to buy some fish from you? Your hardiest selection fits perfectly my wishlist.
Fabian in Bucharest, Romania

Return to “South American Cichlids”