Uaru fernandezyepezi or Panda Uaru

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

fishaddict

Uaru fernandezyepezi or Panda Uaru

Post by fishaddict » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:55 am

I am looking to hear from anyone with detailed information on breeding Uaru fernandezyepezi. Preferably from someone who is experienced with successful breeding of them. I have a wild young adult pair that is actively courting and pitting. I keep them in straight RO water at 84F. Just wondering if there are needed triggers or parameters that I don't know about. They are fed well on a varied diet and receive 1 to 2 water changes of approx 40 percent each week. There is not much detailed info on the interwebs for sure.

amazonia

Re: Uaru fernandezyepezi or Panda Uaru

Post by amazonia » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:55 am

Hi,
I kept a group of 4 U.fernandezyepezi for about 5 years(2005-2010),and there was 1 matched pair with them. They spawned several times and although it was definitely a "true" pair(different breeding tubes),they allways ate their eggs immediately. So I can't say I was "succesful" in breeding them.
I kept them,like you, in very soft and warm water with a Ph ranging from 4.5 - 5. They also need a LOT of vegetable food(preferably waterplants and duckweed) Unfortunately I had to part from them because of a "house move".
I regret that till this day... One of my big favourites.

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:00 pm

I can't believe that I am getting no replies to my post. Have the Panda Uaru been successfully spawned? I can't find a thing about breeding them. I have heard of eggs being laid, but never hatches or successful raising of fry.

amazonia

Post by amazonia » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:49 am

Rainer Stawikowski(Germany) and a French guy(can't remember his name) spawned this species succesfully.
If you have a true and healthy pair,and your waterparameters are ok,just be patient. They'll get to it one day.

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:52 pm

It looks like I am about to be one of the few people in the world to ever get Panda Uarus to spawn. I do know however that that is the easy part of breeding this species. Viable young is another story. Right now the tubes are out on both male and female and she is making practice passes in the gravel pit. If they are anything like the Triangle uaru I know it may take a few times before they actually hatch the eggs. I have hatched and raised my own Uaru amps many times. I am sure I can do the same with the Fernandez's if I have to. That would be so KEWL!!! :lol:

FIRST VIDEO OF THE SPAWNING WARM UP
http://vid1170.photobucket.com/albums/r ... czfeiq.mp4

PRACTICE PASSES IN THE PIT
http://vid1170.photobucket.com/albums/r ... lqcgap.mp4

I hope that I have a positive update to give later! :wink:

amazonia

Post by amazonia » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 am

Sometimes there actually are F1 U.fernandezyepezi available in Germany("german bred" on stock lists),so there must be definitely a couple of people who breed them succesfully.
I think it is surely a good idea when you keep the matched pair alone in a tank(maybe some small dither fish,like "surface orientated" tetra's),so that no other(cichlid)species can distract them.
Apart from that, I wish you good luck with them.
(I keep my Satanoperca daemon also in nearly pure RO water,but till this day nothing happens regarding breeding...)

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 pm

:( Sorry to say that nothing came from the practice breeding last week.

amazonia

Post by amazonia » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:15 am

Patience is what you will need to have with these fish...

fishaddict

Post by fishaddict » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:26 am

They are at it again. It seems that they are more closely paired in their behaviour this time. Might even see eggs this time. That would be tooooo cool! :D

http://vid1170.photobucket.com/albums/r ... ucjbbr.mp4

amazonia

Post by amazonia » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:45 am

That would be very cool indeed! Keep us informed...

baconks

Post by baconks » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:02 am

There is an article in TFH magazine July/2014 on your cichlids that may be of help.
Good luck!

damian_ireland

Post by damian_ireland » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:37 pm

did they are have fry ? i am also wondering about them, I see a good few videos on youtube of "spawning behavior" but none with fry

ikuacara

Post by ikuacara » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Beautiful pair. Any updates on their way to a parenthood? :)

Return to “South American Cichlids”