The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Post Reply
User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:15 pm

If you are into SA cichlids of the larger variety, then this species is a "must have" ...the incredible Acarichthys heckelii or Threadfin Acara. For sheer beauty, it is unsurpassed by few other cichlids. I presently am raising six, and these are about a year old, and pushing 6". They are very compatible with Geophagus / Satanoperca and I presently have them housed with nine Geophagus winemilleri. I want to share a few images of this impressive "jewel" of a species.
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG
Slide6.JPG
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

User avatar
zenins
Posts: 343
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:11 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by zenins » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:15 pm

Beautiful :)

Thanks for sharing

Oceanica
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:47 pm

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Oceanica » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:03 pm

I hear they are a tad more aggressive than most eartheaters?

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:12 pm

They can be rougher than most geos once maturity is reached. In my experience in the past, they never killed one another. With my latest six, there is one that is becoming dominant but they are in a somewhat crowded condition with good water flow, so nothing really serious transpires. Here is a posting from another aquarist ( 'duanes') from my MFK thread relating his experiences.
"Mine went into spawning mode a couple months ago, digging pits, and in the process started killing each other. I started with 5, three years ago, in the last 3 months, down to one. I had always heard a very large tank is needed once spawning begins, seems my 6ft 150 gal is not adequate. The aggression is very subtle, hardly noticeable unless I watch very slowly. Starts with just a scale or 2 missing on the head, then within a day or 2, I would find a corpse. I figured best case scenario, might be 3 dead, and I'd end up with a pair, had a pair going, little more digging, now down to one. Think it will end up at next months fish auction."
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

amazonia
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:42 am

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by amazonia » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:58 am

Very nice pics. They look fantastic 8) I used to keep them about 20 years ago. Been such a long time now...

ocean
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:59 am

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by ocean » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:06 pm

Very beutiful fish , thanks

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Jim Cumming » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:29 pm

ocean wrote:Very beutiful fish , thanks
amazonia wrote:Very nice pics. They look fantastic 8) I used to keep them about 20 years ago. Been such a long time now...
Thanks for the kind words.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Evan
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:32 am

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Evan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Amazing fish and nice pics.

I loved mine but I also found them to be fairly aggressive as young adults. I ended up with just one.

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Jim Cumming » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Evan wrote:Amazing fish and nice pics.

I loved mine but I also found them to be fairly aggressive as young adults. I ended up with just one.
Hey Evan,
You're not the first person to have had that experience. It seems to be quite common. Mine have never gone to the point of killing one another, but some dominant bullying has occurred. I have mine in fairly crowded conditions, with a strong current to keep aggression down. Seems to be working so far.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

User avatar
Marko Lenac
Posts: 581
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Rijeka - Croatia - Europe
Contact:

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by Marko Lenac » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:23 am

notho2000 wrote:They can be rougher than most geos once maturity is reached. In my experience in the past, they never killed one another. With my latest six, there is one that is becoming dominant but they are in a somewhat crowded condition with good water flow, so nothing really serious transpires. Here is a posting from another aquarist ( 'duanes') from my MFK thread relating his experiences.
"Mine went into spawning mode a couple months ago, digging pits, and in the process started killing each other. I started with 5, three years ago, in the last 3 months, down to one. I had always heard a very large tank is needed once spawning begins, seems my 6ft 150 gal is not adequate. The aggression is very subtle, hardly noticeable unless I watch very slowly. Starts with just a scale or 2 missing on the head, then within a day or 2, I would find a corpse. I figured best case scenario, might be 3 dead, and I'd end up with a pair, had a pair going, little more digging, now down to one. Think it will end up at next months fish auction."
I had the exactly same scenario. heckelii countdown. but I will try again. hope soon
Image

teqvet
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by teqvet » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Finding the disagree-ability of the heckelii quite odd here. I've got 7 of them in with 6 rh taps in a 125gallon atm. I got them when they were about 1.5-2" so that was back in February this year or so; my largest one is about 6" now with quite a few round 5" They seem pretty docile for the most part. My RH's who are starting to spawn are far more aggro than the heckelii.

At what point did the heckelii start becoming so disruptive?

bortko.76
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Re: The Spectacular Acarichthys heckelii

Post by bortko.76 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:02 pm

teqvet wrote:Finding the disagree-ability of the heckelii quite odd here. I've got 7 of them in with 6 rh taps in a 125gallon atm. I got them when they were about 1.5-2" so that was back in February this year or so; my largest one is about 6" now with quite a few round 5" They seem pretty docile for the most part. My RH's who are starting to spawn are far more aggro than the heckelii.

At what point did the heckelii start becoming so disruptive?
I'm on the exact time line as you and lost one. My understanding is that they are slow to mature and don't start breeding until 2-3 years old and this is when poop hits the fan.

Post Reply

Return to “South American Cichlids”