exCichlasoma gephyrum spawn

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

fevelasco

exCichlasoma gephyrum spawn

Post by fevelasco » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:21 pm

For the third time, my wild-caught exCichlasoma gephyrum pair have spawned. The spawn took place in the same 150 gallon aquarium in which they've grown up since I acquired them as 1" juveniles in August 2010. After their previous two spawns, I've had to remove the male because the pair bond broke down after the eggs hatched. (Unfortunately, the female ate the fry before reaching the free-swimming stage.) The pair seem to be doing much better this time around, directing their aggression on the dithers (Colombian tetras) instead of each other, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

YouTube video: http://youtu.be/i_RRG2jKatw
exC. gephyrum pair CRC.PNG
exC. gephyrum pair CRC.PNG (202.89 KiB) Viewed 3547 times

Norcal_Cichlid

Re: exCichlasoma gephyrum spawn

Post by Norcal_Cichlid » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:20 pm

How big are they? Nice job.
Current stock-2 F1 Breeding pairs of Chuco Micropthalmus, F1 Theraps Lentiginosum (2 breeding pairs), Theraps Coeruleus (1 breeding pair), 7 5-8" F0 Ornatum "Rio Choco", 2 Beani "White" and about 400 Micropthalmus fry!

DRE

Post by DRE » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 pm

well done. What size are they?
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Cichlidfever

Post by Cichlidfever » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:55 am

Wow!! nice job :) What size tank do you have them in?
(2) Festae
(2) Pseudomystus Slamensis Catfish
(2) Pseudopimelodus bufonius

fevelasco

Post by fevelasco » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:26 pm

I apologize for the delayed reply.

The male was about 10 inches (25 cm) TL and the female was about 9 inches (23 cm). Unfortunately, the pair bond broke down once again before the fry got to the free-swimming stage and I lost the male. They spawned in a 150 gallon (568 L) aquarium, where they were housed together with Colombian tetras (Hyphessobrycon columbianus) and a bristlenose pleco.

I still have the female, but I'm starting again with about 5 small specimens.

Norcal_Cichlid

Post by Norcal_Cichlid » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:51 am

I have a group of 7 that I am hoping to get a pair out of. So far there is 1 very dominant male that is easily 2" bigger than any of the rest. Did they eat any of the Tetras?
Current stock-2 F1 Breeding pairs of Chuco Micropthalmus, F1 Theraps Lentiginosum (2 breeding pairs), Theraps Coeruleus (1 breeding pair), 7 5-8" F0 Ornatum "Rio Choco", 2 Beani "White" and about 400 Micropthalmus fry!

Return to “South American Cichlids”