Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Post Reply
User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 am

Cichlasoma dimerus is a very attractive South American cichlid from Uruguay. The compact, almost ovoid body shows yellow and green highlights and the scales are edged in black, and when spawning, couples display interesting patterns. They are feisty little fish to say the least and have the parenting thing down to perfection. I've included a picture of my original male, just to illustrate.
MVI_1146-003.jpg
I have distributed quite a few young locally and in other parts of Canada. Of course, I've held some back for my next generation. In fact, I put a few young in my pond over last summer, and some "survived" the beani, Red Ceibals, and rivulatus. I've noticed that a few of the "next generation" males developed into exceptional specimens, outshining their father by a long shot. Here's a couple of pics of one such 'super male'. The pictures don't do the fish justice.
MVI_0002-001.jpg
MVI_0001-014.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

dogofwar
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by dogofwar » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:10 am

Why they're my absolute favorite fish!

We caught some Cichlasoma dimerus in Zanja Honda...not too far from Bella Union...that were really dark and metallic blue... And some little ones (probably not dimerus) in Ansina.

I've found that the C. dimerus grow quite large in captivity. I've got a pair in a 75g in which the male's every bit of 8 inches and probably 2 lbs! Felipe's got some lunkers in his turtle pond :)

Matt

User avatar
Florent
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 483
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:11 am
Location: Hérault, France

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Florent » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:25 pm

They are very nice, platinium cichlasoma !

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:26 pm

dogofwar wrote:Why they're my absolute favorite fish!

We caught some Cichlasoma dimerus in Zanja Honda...not too far from Bella Union...that were really dark and metallic blue... And some little ones (probably not dimerus) in Ansina.

I've found that the C. dimerus grow quite large in captivity. I've got a pair in a 75g in which the male's every bit of 8 inches and probably 2 lbs! Felipe's got some lunkers in his turtle pond :)

Matt
Hey Matt. They're fast becoming a top favorite of mine as well. Hope your recent trip to Uruguay was a blast. Wish I could have made it. Can't wait to see what the fish from Ansina turn out like. What else did you bring back with you?
Florent wrote:They are very nice, platinium cichlasoma !
Thanks Florent. Would be a great name to market them under.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

User avatar
Piotr Koba
CRC contributor
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:23 am
Location: Poland

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Piotr Koba » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:04 am

I am not much into those "classics" of the South America, but that supermale makes me think I should probably change my attitude :D
Cheers
Piotr

User avatar
EC
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:43 am
Location: milan, italy

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by EC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Florent wrote:They are very nice, platinium cichlasoma !
Castañetas. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ciao Enrico

newworldsss
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 am

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by newworldsss » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:46 pm

Too be the buzzkill... Was the original male ever on a lighter substrate?

dogofwar
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:25 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by dogofwar » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:07 am

All sorts of great fish, Jim...but I think the Zanja Honda dimerus are my faves this trip. I need to download the pictures.

I gave a friend some of the Hisonotus that we collected at a new spot: http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/view ... 98#p273555

Also brought back some Ancistrus, Chanchitos and some other fish from the same spot.

Another highlight of the trip was collecting at Laguna del Diario in Maldonado: where Darwin's crew first collected and the type locality for Australoheros, Jenynsis, Cnestrodon and probably others. Collecting was super easy: basically dipping a net in the water in the (slightly flooded) little road leading up to the pond!

Matt
notho2000 wrote:
dogofwar wrote:Why they're my absolute favorite fish!

We caught some Cichlasoma dimerus in Zanja Honda...not too far from Bella Union...that were really dark and metallic blue... And some little ones (probably not dimerus) in Ansina.

I've found that the C. dimerus grow quite large in captivity. I've got a pair in a 75g in which the male's every bit of 8 inches and probably 2 lbs! Felipe's got some lunkers in his turtle pond :)

Matt
Hey Matt. They're fast becoming a top favorite of mine as well. Hope your recent trip to Uruguay was a blast. Wish I could have made it. Can't wait to see what the fish from Ansina turn out like. What else did you bring back with you?
Florent wrote:They are very nice, platinium cichlasoma !
Thanks Florent. Would be a great name to market them under.

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Jim Cumming » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:53 pm

This F2 Cichlasoma dimerus 'Bella Union' is becoming more stunning with age. He's now just about 5".
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
dimerus1a.jpg
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Beminu
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Beminu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:23 am

notho2000 wrote:This F2 Cichlasoma dimerus 'Bella Union' is becoming more stunning with age. He's now just about 5".
Hy Jim,

How big does it eventually grow?
Is 5" about the normal size they get or do they grow much bigger?
How old is this one?

I Bought 5 of those this week....

linda0012
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 am

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by linda0012 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:54 am

Beminu wrote:
notho2000 wrote:This F2 Cichlasoma dimerus 'Bella Union' is becoming more stunning with age. He's now just about 5".
Hy Jim,

How big does it eventually grow?
Is 5" about the normal size they get or do they grow much bigger?
How old is this one?

I Bought 5 of those this week....
I had the same breed but it died with the climate change and because of my negligence. Can you advice me some tips to take care of them?

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:16 am

I think males reach a maximum size of around 6", the females somewhat smaller at maybe 5". At least that's the largest I've had.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Beminu
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Beminu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Measured with or without tale? :)

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Jim Cumming » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Without tail, standard length SL.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Beminu
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Beminu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:25 pm

Ok, that explains.
Thanks for the info :)

User avatar
DRE
Posts: 342
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:41 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: RE: Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by DRE » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:54 am

Piotr Koba wrote:I am not much into those "classics" of the South America, but that supermale makes me think I should probably change my attitude :D
+1

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk
Discovery consists of looking at the same thing as everyone else and thinking something different

Beminu
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Beminu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 am

notho2000 wrote:Without tail, standard length SL.
Can you tell something about watertemperatures you kept them?
Winter-summer....

I know the watertemperatures during summer can be hot but what about the winter?
Do you believe watertemperatures need to be below 68Fahrenheit during winter?

User avatar
Jim Cumming
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 3:59 pm
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Jim Cumming » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:55 am

I'm not sure if they have to be below 68F, but it would be in their best interests to pull the plug on the heater. Room temperature is probably fine, although cooler temperatures can't hurt. I haven't given mine a cold period and it doesn't seem to have affected them adversely but I should probably pay more attention to that in the longer term. I know that gymnos have to be given the definite cold period. I was told by Felipe Cantera that summer water temperatures in Uruguay can reach into the mid 90s or higher in small bodies of water. And in the winter 50s are common.
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

Beminu
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Cichlasoma dimerus: 'Super Male'

Post by Beminu » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:17 pm

notho2000 wrote:I'm not sure if they have to be below 68F, but it would be in their best interests to pull the plug on the heater. Room temperature is probably fine, although cooler temperatures can't hurt. I haven't given mine a cold period and it doesn't seem to have affected them adversely but I should probably pay more attention to that in the longer term. I know that gymnos have to be given the definite cold period. I was told by Felipe Cantera that summer water temperatures in Uruguay can reach into the mid 90s or higher in small bodies of water. And in the winter 50s are common.
Ok thanks,
From what you say it seems like it really is the cichlasoma dimerus thats also been reported from more northern regions as Paraguay, Matto Grosso, Bolivia...
In my oppinion, if they do need below 65f during winter, they wouldn"t spawn that easy without that.
At least if it is the same way as it is with Uruguay gymno"s
It looks like the gymno"s i also keep in another tank only spawn when winter is done, the watertemp is below 60s for that tank and after that period they spawn like rabbits for a few months and then its done untill it was winter again.

Post Reply

Return to “South American Cichlids”