Massive Geophagus pellegrini

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Massive Geophagus pellegrini

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:20 pm

Has anyone ever maintained this species to the size depicted in the accompanying photo. Makes me want to keep this species again.
Attachments
Geophagus pellegrini Giant Male.jpg

newworldsss

Re: Massive Geophagus pellegrini

Post by newworldsss » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:17 pm

I've kept them a few times the biggest ones I had were 6 inch males, before I passed them on, the biggest one I saw was at an aca which was around 7"...to answer your question

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Mine were that large too, when I traded them off. Perhaps only a small percentage of males reach such large sizes?

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:56 am

I've seen hem in a shop, only slightly smaller. I was fired the dat before, in 1997, and therefore did not buy them - something I still regret

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:59 am

newworldsss, I think you are confusing this with the common Red Hump, G. steindachneri. I've had crassilabris, but I have not seen true pellegrini here in the US.

The hump on that head is amazing. I have to wonder how the fish could swim with that thing sticking out like that! :)
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

newworldsss

Post by newworldsss » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

Darrell no confusion here, I've had all 3 of the red hump complex, as for not seeing the true pellegrini they were around, there are a few venders who had them recently, adults of all 3 are easily distinguished from each other.....maybe pellegrini weren't around maybe 10 years ago but things change...looking at your location I sold a pair to a fellow you might know (local?) under the name Steve Morrison at a aca a few years back....

Nuchal Man

Post by Nuchal Man » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:14 pm

True pellegrini started coming in with the other shipments of new fish from Colombia a few years ago that included the 'Cichlasoma' cf. gephyrum. They are fantastic looking fish, but I haven't yet seen one with that kind of hump in captivity.

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Nuchal Man wrote:True pellegrini started coming in with the other shipments of new fish from Colombia a few years ago that included the 'Cichlasoma' cf. gephyrum. They are fantastic looking fish, but I haven't yet seen one with that kind of hump in captivity.
The hump depends on seksual competition. Once I raised a nest of G steindachneri. The alfa one did not have any hump - it did not have to compete for its position. Fish delta, epsilon had far greater ones - they competed with almost anyone, and had hums just as insanely big as the above fish has. Mind you they measures some 5 cm /2 inches
fish omega did not have any hump either - it had given up all hope of ever geting higher in the pikorder

This fish, with this hump does remind me of a delta fish, that is, there are even more dominant ones in the water. Somewhere

But that implies having some 6 or more adult males, together with at least the same number of females, in 1 tank. That tank better be huge

Darrell Ullisch

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Guess I'll have to start looking around. That's what I get for being out of circulation for a few years. :oops:
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

Mark Smith
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Mark Smith » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:21 pm

It would be nice to see more wild caught G. pellegrini exported again soon.

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:52 am

About two years ago there was an import of pellegrini, adult wildcaughts in one of Dutch wholesalers, but I had no opportunity to get them from there. And they were pretty cheap for an "XL" size (whatever this means). These (along with crassilabris) are very high on my wishlist.
Cheers
Piotr

Rico Morgenstern
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by Rico Morgenstern » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:59 am

That's really impressive, thanks for posting. It should be noted that the photo (which I found on several websites) is originally from the NRM collection database. The fish was collected and photographed by Sven Kullander in 1989. With it, two other large specimens where taken (and photographed), another similar male and an obvious female, also of extraordinary size:

http://artedi.nrm.se/nrmfish/imgfind.ph ... Data=17072

Such a fish in a sufficiently large tank would definitely be an eye-catcher.

Piotr Koba
CRC contributor

Post by Piotr Koba » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for posting the other two Rico. Impressive fish indeed.
Cheers
Piotr

Return to “South American Cichlids”