Aequidens ID

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Grummie2

Aequidens ID

Post by Grummie2 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:50 pm

These came into the store as 'wild caught aequidens sp.', anyone have thoughts on what they are? Sorry about the quality of the pics, the colour is an olive green with brown/gold too. Head shape seems a bit off for the usual suspects... they have an attitude too!

Image[/url

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Grummie ... 3.jpg.html]Image

Graham

Darrell Ullisch

Re: Aequidens ID

Post by Darrell Ullisch » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:32 am

Looks more like a Cichlasoma species to me. They still show up in stores under as Aequidens because common commercial sources are generally ignorant of nomenclature changes for the previous 40 years.
There are two kinds of error: blind credulity and piecemeal criticism. Sound skepticism is the necessary condition for good discernment; but piecemeal criticism is an error. - Egyptian proverb

cichla
CichlidRoom Expert

Post by cichla » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Yup, I agree with Darrell. It is a Cichlasoma. The majority of the species of genus Cichlasoma have four bars between mid-lateral spot and caudal fin base spot. Another diagnostic character is a scaled base of anal- and dorsal fin.

Grummie2

Post by Grummie2 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks guys!, I think you've hit the nail on the head! I'll try for some better pictures but C. bimaculatum seems to be a good fit, especially when compared to the pics by R. Stawikowski. I have a spawn from these growing fast and strong, it's good to be able to at least have some idea what they are !!
Graham

Return to “South American Cichlids”