Into the Pond? - - - Not So Fast!!

Discussion about cichlids from South America

Moderator: Florent

Jim Cumming

Into the Pond? - - - Not So Fast!!

Post by Jim Cumming » Tue May 28, 2013 8:36 pm

I've been waiting until it is warm enough to put some of my fish out in the pond (12'x5'x30", 1125 G). And the time has arrived. The daytime temperatures have been about 18-23oC and the water temperature about 15 oC. Last year, I had Australoheros sp. Red Ceibals(3M, 1F) and 8 small (~3") exCichlasoma beani out there along with a 12" pleco and 6 young Koi. They all did very well, to the extent that when I finally removed them at the end of October (water temperature 3oC, air temperature 0oC), I noticed no losses and they had grown appreciably. Also, when I started netting, I found 'Ceibal' fry (around 200 of them, 1/2").
Once inside, I put them in a 70G unheated (23-25oC) tank and hoped for the best. Over the course of the winter, I lost one of the smaller 'beani' and another got ripped up a bit (but survived). It's been a bit of a "race against time" since the 'beani' are up around 5-6" now and starting to "show more interest in one another" (ie. clobber each other). Also last week I noticed my 'Ceibal' pair all colored up, which means one thing -- spawn. I wasn't wanting it to happen in this tank since I needed it for some young 'psittacus'. But regardless, it happened and it's a beautiful sight. Here's a video of this wonderful pair of Chanchitos with young.
http://youtu.be/GIIO9A0dpSY
"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".
- Albert Einstein

phishman2001

Re: Into the Pond? - - - Not So Fast!!

Post by phishman2001 » Wed May 29, 2013 12:52 pm

I put some Tropheus in my pond for the summer. They made it all summer until the raccoons ate them in September.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “South American Cichlids”